Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-30-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
o_k9-cop

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A suggestion to fellow mappers regarding elevation...

Maps that use changes in elevation tend to be more interesting. If you look at your map and find that everything is all on one even plain with maybe a couple areas that are precisely 'one floor' up or down, you should maybe consider reworking your layout slightly. Most of the good maps use changes in elevation: 2fort, well, even nml.

Even more than that, have you considered making a map that works vertically rather than horizontally??? I managed to create a map in tfc called Vator. It features a working elevator in the center of the map. The two main challenges were: 1) getting the elevator effect to work the way I wanted (it crashes when security is down for both teams and someone works the elevator and 2) ensuring it was balanced as at one time you could just throw the flag down the elevator and save a lot of time. It works alright, but I still find that its a little obvious/hokey in the way that the levels are connected. I'm planning to remake Vator for FF, but making a number of major changes to the layout to make it more interesting.

Anyways, I challenge mappers to consider making a map that works vertically as opposed to the standard horizontal flag runs, but still maintains balance![/url]
o_k9-cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
o_kam

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/viewtopic.php?t=1976
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
im starting to make this silo map, but i suck at mapping, so after i have the layout done, it'll be up in the mapping section for someone else to touch up if its thumbs up
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
o_ginger lord

The problem with vertical maps is one team is unbalanced to start with, before the players even join. Going up is a lot harder than going down.

So you'd have to make it on every flag cap to switch spawns to balance it, which will be tricky especially with team colour bases. Unless you have two identical bases side by side, with teh colours inverted and on flag cap all the players are teleported to the other one.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

silo's gonna be two identical shafts (and ajoining rooms), with the ground surface being the no mans land, and the flag room being right at the bottom levels

Old 06-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
o_kam

Once they get up though, it's easy to get down. So it's sorta balanced but the speed of the team going down would out weigh the fact that they have to get up to cap the flag.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
o_k9-cop

yah, in the original versions of vator the beta testers found the team that had to go up to get the flag actually had a huge advantage because they were able to throw the flag down the elevator shaft. I ended up just making it so that the flag couldn't go through the elevator from the flag room.
o_k9-cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
o_epothon

The concept is great, no question about it, but you need normal maps aswell to keep the selection a bit more open

most mappers here have a lot .. A LOT of talent, just let people do their thing and they mostly see for themselfs what might be most interesting for maps
o_epothon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

the way my map's turning out, its no longer two shafts, as its incredibly hard to keep it interesting. as long as theres gravity, playing downwards will always have the edge

Old 07-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
o_robg

What about a map where the flag (or flags) is (are) below the base(s), so the players drop down/go down an elevator to get there, but then have to work their way upward against defence? I dunno, perhaps it sounded better in my head than it looks here
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #11
o_epothon

you would obviously have defence near the elevator too but.. would be doable
o_epothon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #12
o_azlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
What about a map where the flag (or flags) is (are) below the base(s), so the players drop down/go down an elevator to get there, but then have to work their way upward against defence? I dunno, perhaps it sounded better in my head than it looks here
BAM is like that!
o_azlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #13
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
BAM is like that!
So is crossover and crossover2... the former moreso because it had the trigger_hurt on the ceiling to "prevent" conc'ing out.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #14
o_drtom

so is 2fort and about 10 billion maps?
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote