Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 AM   #41
Tennovan
The one and only

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Actually the 2600 > 2900 and 8600 > 8800 when it comes to high definition as they were specifically built with hardware decoders for HD content. I hate that though... why include features in your low/mid range cards and not in your "enthusiast" line? I now they're more geared towards HTPC's but still... gamers watch HD movies too.

But as far as DX10 -- its nothing more than having your games provide a better "experience" over DX9... not performance. That's why I hate all these DX10 vs DX9 benchmarks. For instance, DX10 games can provide more realistic lighting/physics when compared to DX9 and people are complaining about their fps... I mean cmon, of course your frames are gonna take a hit. I don't know about you but if my game looks 10 times better than yours and plays just as smooth with half the fps... I'm cool with that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, screw buying a 7 series NVidia. If you buy DX9, go with a X1950Pro (at least) but I recommend buying DX10. Even though people dog the 2900XT, its still an amazing performer compared to its previous generation and stands up well against the 8800 series... most of the time. If I were buying today, though, I would buy nothing less than an 8800GTS 320MB. If you plan on keeping the card for years or game at a resolution higher than 19x12, go with the 640MB.

Last edited by Tennovan; 08-03-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 AM   #42
Zencheetah

Oh damn, you're right. I was thinking because I got mine for 280, the price woulda gone down... Nope.

http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?key=VC-157-108

That store has the card for 270 though, still a good deal for a great card.
Zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #43
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

All the dx10 cards suck at dx10 atm. If your not going to be buying for 3 months or so then there really is no point in reccomending you a card now as it will be out of date in 3 months.

The current 8800 series from nvidia will be comming down in price around november/december as that is when the new 9800 series is schedualed for release. My advice hold off untill then and ask again as the market will have changed.

If you really MUST have a card to play with until then, pick up a 7300gs or the like for about $50. It will play BF2/FF with decent enough settings. Will last you at least 3 months and will not break the bank. Allowing you to buy a beast of a crad down the line.

If you want DX10 btw you will need to get vista. Waiting for a crack for XP isnt really an option as afaik it wont possible due to the way dx9 and dx10 are designed compared to xp and vista.
BumGravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #44
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Mneh, I guess I will resurrect this thread in three months then. d:

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote