Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
SimCity Societies

http://www.destructoid.com/simcity-s...un-32951.phtml
Crazy :O
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
Zencheetah

Great, yet another company ruining their video games. Thank you for this wonderful insight.
Zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
skuLL

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Omfg, crazy!
skuLL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
Serik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zencheetah
Great, yet another company ruining their video games. Thank you for this wonderful insight.
EA: We ruin every game you love!

I've played SimCity since 1994 and this game looks gay as shit. EA/Twisted Mill removed zoning, power plants, water pipes, etc. because it was all "too complicated." Fuck that. It's not a real SimCity game without that stuff.

p.s. Twisted Mill is probably best known for the shit-tastic Caesar IV, another city builder they totally ruined.
Serik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serik
EA: We ruin every game you love!

I've played SimCity since 1994 and this game looks gay as shit. EA/Twisted Mill removed zoning, power plants, water pipes, etc. because it was all "too complicated." Fuck that. It's not a real SimCity game without that stuff.

p.s. Twisted Mill is probably best known for the shit-tastic Caesar IV, another city builder they totally ruined.
You're but one microscopic part of the market my friend, they had to dumb it down so they could atleast sell it to retards.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
skuLL

SimCity, unfortunately, isn't made for gamers, it's made for dumbs [a.k.a no gamers ):]

Old 06-16-2007, 05:10 AM   #7
Serik

Skull -- SimCity is one of the oldest PC game franchises. In fact it's probably *the* classic PC game.

And I'm afraid you'e right, Suite. EA is clearly marketing this game to The Sims demographic (not everyone who plays The Sims is a total idiot, but the game does attract lots of kids). The SimCity Societies press release says you can build chocolate factories and gingerbread houses -- ya, that's a major selling point for them. Business-wise, this makes sense. But I can still be pissed off.

EA has ruined Command&Conquer AND SimCity, two of my favorite game series of all time. My contempt for them has no bounds.

Hopefully Will Wright will design a new SimCity (he hasn't really been involved with the series since SimCity 3000). Until then, we at least have Spore to look forward to.
Serik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
skuLL

A bit off-topic:
Is C&C Tiberium Wars any good?
I thought about dl'in it, just wasn't sure if the juice was worth the squeeze...

Old 06-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
They sold the rights to SimCity or something like that.
Most gamers weren't very happy

Old 06-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Player
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuLL
Is C&C Tiberium Wars any good?
It has a very short lifespan.

I bought it, liked it and stopped playing it within two days.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
skuLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
It has a very short lifespan.

I bought it, liked it and stopped playing it within two days.
A lot like infernal ):
The only difference is that C&C is 7gb =x

Old 06-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
Suite307

Tiberium Wars has cool campaigns , besides that it's meh.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #13
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serik
Skull -- SimCity is one of the oldest PC game franchises. In fact it's probably *the* classic PC game.

And I'm afraid you'e right, Suite. EA is clearly marketing this game to The Sims demographic (not everyone who plays The Sims is a total idiot, but the game does attract lots of kids). The SimCity Societies press release says you can build chocolate factories and gingerbread houses -- ya, that's a major selling point for them. Business-wise, this makes sense. But I can still be pissed off.

EA has ruined Command&Conquer AND SimCity, two of my favorite game series of all time. My contempt for them has no bounds.

Hopefully Will Wright will design a new SimCity (he hasn't really been involved with the series since SimCity 3000). Until then, we at least have Spore to look forward to.
I will be the first person here to say it:

EA is wrecking Simcity as Valve is wrecking TF2.

Essentially, they are sacrificing the high end, more complex gameplay in exchange for mass appeal.

Think about it. I have played Simcity before. I sucked. I mean, you need INSANE micromanagement to be able to run a town in that game, and the random disasters that can befall you make the thing even more challenging.

TFC is the same way... speed, twitchaim, and the ability to innovate your movement and skills on the fly are how you survive in TFC.

Now they are dumbing down Simcity to be able to sell as many units as they can, just like how Valve is dumbing down TF2 to be able to sell as many units as they can.

Honestly, EA is the McDonald's of the video game world. Sure, their burgers are good, but we all have that local diner, grillhouse, or lunchtruck that beats the shit out of their McMassproduced meat slabs.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #14
Etzell
D&A Member

If the game is still fun, I don't think it's been "ruined." Changed is the word you should use, at least until you play it.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #15
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Where did I say "ruined"?

To clarify:

EA's Simcity Societies and Valve's TF2 are wrecking the high-end gameplay (stuff that requires good micromanagement and good movement skills & aiming, respectively) in order to give the game more mass appeal.

Do I believe that the games will not have a high end of gameplay? No. Look at Guitar Hero, for instance. The game is not too hard to pick up, but you have songs for Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert. Beyond that, the songs further down the list get increasingly difficult. On top of that, one could make an attempt to hit 100% of the notes on a song. At that point, people would have to start inventing new informal playstyles. I thought up "lowballing" for that game, namely, trying to get the lowest score while still surviving a song. (Managing the use of Star Power is as essential to getting a high score in Guitar Hero or Guitar Hero II as is hitting all of the notes and keeping a streak going; you want to hit up areas with lots of notes and/or lots of chords, and you do not want to have Star Power left over at the end of a song; lowballing would follow a similar principle, namely managing Star Power to survive while keeping your score low.)

However, imagine if Guitar Hero did not have an Easy or Medium mode. Imagine if you had to start the game up with two choices: Hard or Expert. That is what TFC and Simcity feels like to me, personally... hard to get a hang of it and intimidating.

The new games by EA and Valve respectively are doing the opposite, making it just Easy and Medium from a design standpoint, rather than try to teach the players via tutorials or something how to play the game with skill.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote