Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #81
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Why have health and armor then? Just give a class the total amount of health they would have if you calculated armor absorption and be done with it. (Not everything TF2 did was bad.)

I like the new infection actually. It keeps a class at 1 hp for a short time which creates an opening for a scout to take down a big class.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #82
Respect38
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: Hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPelargos View Post
Why have health and armor then? Just give a class the total amount of health they would have if you calculated armor absorption and be done with it. (Not everything TF2 did was bad.)

I like the new infection actually. It keeps a class at 1 hp for a short time which creates an opening for a scout to take down a big class.
While I defiantly agree with you on the bolded, italicized part, I personally like the health/armor system. If you ask me, it adds more depth to the game.

Yet, at the same time, I would be happy if it were removed. I'm just going to stand on the sidelines and let the people that know what this would do to game balance explain why this idea would screw up balance.

Or be total jackasses and call you a TF2 kid.

Or ignore you.

Whichever person they decide to be. I hope they go with the first option.
Respect38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #83
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect38 View Post
While I defiantly agree with you on the bolded, italicized part, I personally like the health/armor system. If you ask me, it adds more depth to the game.

Yet, at the same time, I would be happy if it were removed. I'm just going to stand on the sidelines and let the people that know what this would do to game balance explain why this idea would screw up balance.

Or be total jackasses and call you a TF2 kid.

Or ignore you.

Whichever person they decide to be. I hope they go with the first option.
I don't' think anyone in there right mind would just go to the code and remove it and that's the end of that. To do that you would need to completely revamp the health, armor, damage system (as well as some classes and weapons.) we currently have now to achieve this goal. I believe if done right it won't hurt the game but make it simpler and easier for new players and people playing currently only have to worry about 1 gauge to tell how fast there gonna die.

i personally think that either we need to remove or fix the armor because as of now i feel its very poorly implemented. (i feel the same about bags.)

unfortunately I don't expect anything to happen with this point made because there are 2 kinds of people in this community those who understand below and those who don't.

A: just because something is more complex doesn't make it necessarily more sophisticated or better. (just nostalgic. ) like film,1 button mice, cassettes, etc...
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-21-2012 at 09:20 AM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #84
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
If someone remade tnguyz (with permission of course) from TFC, people would understand why armor is so important.

We need to improve FF by porting tnguyz or making similar maps.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #85
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
If someone remade tnguyz (with permission of course) from TFC, people would understand why armor is so important.

We need to improve FF by porting tnguyz or making similar maps.
This.
Also, there's really many other things in ff that are more confusing or need fixed than armor. If it ain't broke don't fix it
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #86
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18 View Post
This.
Also, there's really many other things in ff that are more confusing or need fixed than armor. If it ain't broke don't fix it
maybe we need a list? compile in categories from highest to lowest priority. Allow me to elaborate D:!

Fixes:

-Classes-
Highest priority here
-
-
-
-
Lowest here

-Maps-
Highest priority here
-
-
-
-
Lowest here

-Machanics-
Higheset priority here
-
-
-
-
Lowest here

-Community-
Highest priority here
-
-
-
-
Lowest here

Then perhaps we can have little patches put out instead of these ones that take forever.

For instance, after this next patch, you could say theres hotfixes and within those fixes are changes (or fixes) to 1 of each priority within each catagory. So when patch 2.5 comes out, every hotfix from 2.5 will be 2.5.1 - 2.5.2 - 2.5.3 -etc.

But in order to accomplish this, Squeeks going to need more team members. Hopefully the new website will promote some interest. Instead of having people debate on what needs fixing, we need something like whats above^ to keep it more organized. I'm willing to make another thread for this in mind if you guys want. All you'd have to do is PM me here in the forums, or in steam, with either what you feel is off or could be better. A priority, or a list if you wish. then I'll compile them, and throw them in the thread, and from there we can organized.

Let me know.

Last edited by eomoyaff; 05-31-2012 at 12:44 PM.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #87
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Little, more frequent patches = suck due to the fact that we are not on steamworks.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 05-31-2012 at 07:08 PM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #88
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Little, more frequent patches = suck due to the fact that we are not on steamworks.
we've all seen games work before the auto uploader/updater. what you could do to work around this glaring problem would be to create your own auto updater. I have seen few games do that. no source games that I've seen though.

Seriously I think it might be heading towards time to deal with this issue. everyone seems to think that eventually we will get into steamworks. the reality looks like valve isn't going to support any more mods as they seemed to have deemed it not profitable. That and/or FF currently competes with TFC and TF2. Valve may still want to at-least leave there options open about making a TFC:Source. By putting FF on steamworks would directly undermine that effort. I also wouldn't count out valve out to try to swipe FF right out under its feet and make a TFC:S... If we can prove that a "real" Fortress game can be popular again. (the unfortunate truth of business. ) that being said i think it is high time to at-least consider moving or solving our problem instead of putting it on the backseat. waiting for steamworks to come and sweep us off our feet. (its like you guys are watching mother fucking Cinderella.)

if we do decide to move game engines this one looks promising. darksplaces engine. great engine while the graphics in some areas are just as good or even slightly better. I feel that it would a good candidate due to it being heavily based on quake1 engine having excellent graphics that I've ever seen in an open-source game engine. Xonotic which is made from that engine. and with what Xonotic was able to do with the engine is down right impressive. the major downside is that to do anything new you'd have to do it yourself as it is open-source. however that both can be a great thing or horrible thing, sometimes at the same time. that auto updater could be worked on by multiple teams instead of just one, or someone else has already made one.

tl;dr: stop sitting on the side lines and waiting for a prince charming to sweep FF off its MOTHER FUCKING feet!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-31-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: ive edited thsi most of the day if you see this re read it its quite different.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #89
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
I agree with Kube. To many patches and it will become quite a hassel to download them all the time.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #90
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Well maybe if there was a way to include an FF updater within the initial FF download, and it would update like an SVN every time an update came out, where if the user has 2.42, then 2.45 comes out and they don't download it, then 2.5 comes out and they come back to play, it would download 2.45, then 2.50 automatically.

FF needs this, then more frequent updates can happen.

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 05-31-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #91
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I agree with Kube. To many patches and it will become quite a hassel to download them all the time.
Yikes, not all the time. lol. I could see the hassle in that, but that's not what I meant.

Instead of devs working on new shit all the time (which is cool) and taking a long time to release updated content (Which takes a year, literally (I understand Squeek -- shits hard, and takes a lot of your effort! :S)), we could instead focus on what needs to be fixed, and release a hotfix every few months instead. Re-downloading FF over again (oh shit, 871 mb's!) takes me literally 10 minutes. I'm not even on a fast cable speed.

Don't forget that FF is now on Desura. From there, updates can be patched into FF. That is a feature there. "An update has released from this game -- Update?" , or something similar to that. I forget >.>.

But ya. Didn't mean release a patch every week to month. That'd be ludicris (only with a good-sized dev team could I see something like that.)

Sorry for not elaborating more on the time spectrum o:
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #92
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Going through some of the files in FF, it's clear that some of those files are unneeded or could be cleaned up. That would certainly make the install size smaller. I doubt it would do much to help against lag on a server, but the smaller footprint left on someone's PC could mean potentially more people actually downloading the game.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #93
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Quote:
Going through some of the files in FF, it's clear that some of those files are unneeded or could be cleaned up. That would certainly make the install size smaller. I doubt it would do much to help against lag on a server, but the smaller footprint left on someone's PC could mean potentially more people actually downloading the game.
Diablo 3 is 15 GB. People didn't seem to have a problem installing that.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #94
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Quote:
its always a good idea to declutter and optimize your game. heck even if the size is doesn't change much. it just something your suppose to do.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #95
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Hey guys, I haven't been around here in a while. Apparently my last visit here was 03-06-2008.

I recently saw a short youtube clip that had cell shaded old school models in place of the original FF models..and I gotta say they looked great and overall make the game look 10x better playing with them.

A lot of us on the original team were not happy with the player models/rigging and felt they ended up detracting from the mod or did not live up to the quality of the other elements. Also the difficulty in visually picking out the players from the action is something we did not like. Both of these big issues are 'fixed' when using those models...and I think the game looks great with them and addresses a major downfall.

I would seriously consider making those kind of models default over the originals because really they are so much better for the game, but I can see how there would be issues with that. Personally I don't think there is anything redeeming about the original player models given the issues surrounding them.

Anyway I recently downloaded the mod again and some of the new stuff is pretty cool. Nice work.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #96
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH View Post
Hey guys, I haven't been around here in a while. Apparently my last visit here was 03-06-2008.

I recently saw a short youtube clip that had cell shaded old school models in place of the original FF models..and I gotta say they looked great and overall make the game look 10x better playing with them.

A lot of us on the original team were not happy with the player models/rigging and felt they ended up detracting from the mod or did not live up to the quality of the other elements. Also the difficulty in visually picking out the players from the action is something we did not like. Both of these big issues are 'fixed' when using those models...and I think the game looks great with them and addresses a major downfall.

I would seriously consider making those kind of models default over the originals because really they are so much better for the game, but I can see how there would be issues with that. Personally I don't think there is anything redeeming about the original player models given the issues surrounding them.

Anyway I recently downloaded the mod again and some of the new stuff is pretty cool. Nice work.

They're so gross.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #97
Respect38
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: Hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH View Post

Can you link the Youtube clip you're referring to?
Respect38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #98
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #99
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

There should definitely be an option in your Fortress Options that allows you to choose different/custom character class designs.

TFC had a simple menu. Old style or New style.

I wouldn't mind seeing how the shading effects of the TFC version look, but with the FF class models instead.

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 06-04-2012 at 07:52 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #100
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times

I'll just leave this here.

Just needs more people!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote