Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
o_imbrifer

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Updates > Progress, in Slow Times

The most important thing for a successful release of FF is the existence of a healthy community to play it. This community is created not by quickly releasing FF, but by showing bits of the mod to people through updates.

I know development of FF is slow right now (thanks to this thread) but it is better to have a longer development time with more frequent updates than to have a quicker development with no updates.

Show us bits of new things - the HWguy's face, or four colors of scouts crowbaring eachother for the New Year.. A railgun shot going through a soldier or three sentries plowing down a wave of enemies. If you do just post one shot routinely (hell, even every 2 weeks or a month), I promise you that the release (whenever it is) will be a success.

I am not one to create a thread about updates, but right now the need to bring attention to it is dire. We've discussed the problem and need about 30-60 minutes of someone's time to take a screenshot or two and post it on the front page with a sentence or two of text. That's it.

And this is also a place for those who disagree with me to explain why. Frankly there aren't enough new uppity people around anymore to turn this into a thread from hell
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
o_sta_sirtiger

Taken from my other post at a different thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STA_SirTiger
What I want to know is where in the bible does it say that the next media update has to be a step up from the last one. Bill of Rights? Magna Carta? US constitution? Qur'ān? I think you get the point. This is your mod, your website, your rights. No one is pointing a gun at the FF team and telling them "If the next update ain't better than the last one, I'll fucking eat your family in front of you!"
All we want is to have a much better understanding of what has been completed over the four month period of time. That's all, not asking much to be honest. Maybe it is time to hire someone who can click F5 while in game, sexy it up with text, and upload it to your website since the team has proven how hard it is to do those simple steps (3 minutes per screen shot at most, damn!). Don't get my wrong here, I'm just stating what has to be done for the sake of this mod. 10 screen shots = supports = it's a win-win situation. Not hard, just takes a couple of minutes to actually post some new media. Christ.
I am SirTiger and I approve this thread.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
o_qui

Making it red puts your point across better
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
o_sta_sirtiger

If you really don't have anything relevant to say qui, then please don't post at all.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
o_qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by STA_SirTiger
If you really don't have anything relevant to say qui, then please don't post at all.
It dosnt stop 90% of the posts on this forum, so i think i'll carry on thanks.
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
oh my GOD why is there another bitch thread here? is there some lame contest going on for who can bitch the most?

Old 12-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
o_jeff the god of biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui
Making it red puts your point across better
o_jeff the god of biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
o_twincannon

I disagree with ongoing updates keeping people calm, although it largely depends on a lot of things like how long a mod has been in development, how close it is to release, how many fans it has/how active its forums are, etc etc.

We were doing monthly updates for a while with dystopia and generally the hype went down each one. Fortunately, both mods (FF and Dys), while haven't been updated in a while are fairly close to a release I think it's fair to say. So, while there may be a dry-spell of updates, all the people that would really care about updates (the fans that come to the site every day) know that they'll get to dissect the game soon with their own eyes, which is better than anything a mere news update can provide.
o_twincannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
o_sabre

Hey it's still December 2006, here's to a surpirse release on new years eve
o_sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
o_aces

Paft stop brown nosing ffs, it'll get you nowhere. With TF2 out in a while, it's important the devs keep the interest up. Just because you and your 10 fanboi mates who spend all day on this forum are happy doesn't mean everyone else is. Simple, polite requests have been made. Not "give us a fucking update" or anything like that. So in summary; piss off.
o_aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
o_tfcog

How about having a picture of the week, just a random picture from beta testing? I guess you could count it as an "update". Whoever is working on this mod should check out http://oldsite.mtasa.com/ to maybe get some ideas on how little updates and snipets of information can go a long way. I've been following the Multi Theft Auto mod for GTA:SA for about a year and a half and it's almost been going at the exact same pace as FF(they're in the final development stages aswell).
o_tfcog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
o_atari

Just create a beta testing section on the forums and make it read only for public.
o_atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
o_lithium

The BAUT thread exists for this thread.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2007, 05:49 AM   #14
o_duffmanhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
The most important thing for a successful release of FF is the existence of a healthy community to play it. This community is created not by quickly releasing FF, but by showing bits of the mod to people through updates.

I know development of FF is slow right now (thanks to this thread) but it is better to have a longer development time with more frequent updates than to have a quicker development with no updates.

Show us bits of new things - the HWguy's face, or four colors of scouts crowbaring eachother for the New Year.. A railgun shot going through a soldier or three sentries plowing down a wave of enemies. If you do just post one shot routinely (hell, even every 2 weeks or a month), I promise you that the release (whenever it is) will be a success.

I am not one to create a thread about updates, but right now the need to bring attention to it is dire. We've discussed the problem and need about 30-60 minutes of someone's time to take a screenshot or two and post it on the front page with a sentence or two of text. That's it.

And this is also a place for those who disagree with me to explain why. Frankly there aren't enough new uppity people around anymore to turn this into a thread from hell
I acept this motion. Motion passed. Any one reject to this statement please stand so i can digitally frag you, roll you up in a windows wallpaper and throw you into a dumpster with a physics_override
o_duffmanhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #15
o__mj_

=[
o__mj_ is offline   Reply With Quote