Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
o_someoldguy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Beta status - August 8, 2006

While this was posted within the 'bitch about updates' thread, I figure it's just as well to post it here as to the current status of the closed beta:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
The latest beta sdk update(which fixes some stuff we needed) also has broken the Linux server compile and caused a bunch of other problems. It's being sorted out and progress is also moving forward in all other areas. We missed the first week of August(+1 day atm) but there isn't anything serious enough to report at the moment. As soon as we get the Linux server issues sorted, the closed beta will be essentially ready to begin.

There will be no hype building until we're comfy with a public beta date. Then we'll be sending emails out to the list of launch contacts made over the past few years, there will be some articles about FF in the print and online media, etc. We're really in scramble mode right now, prepping all this to occur.
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Thanks for the status, soggy, been following this mod for a while now!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
o_infinitum

Are there any rough estimates on how long it will take to sort out the server issues? A few weeks?
o_infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Well one thing - for whatever reason, physics data isn't being generated for linux when compiling now (?) so we can't play any newly compiled maps on linux... which is where we play exclusively, actually.

This might just be me not correctly using the new appid 215 completely yet... or an actual bug with the new sdk compile tools and what not.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
mirvin_monkey
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
It's not really just the linux server that's giving problems at the moment, a number of things have broken with the new valve update.
mirvin_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
o_atari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
Thanks for the status, soggy, been following this mod for a while now!
lolz
o_atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
o_infinitum

Are these relatively simple bugs or something difficult to fix?
o_infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
o_alligator

I don't think you should really worry about it infinitum, I'm sure they can sort it out.
edit: omg server down :'(
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #9
o_pigeon

Quote:
Well one thing - for whatever reason, physics data isn't being generated for linux when compiling now (?) so we can't play any newly compiled maps on linux... which is where we play exclusively, actually.

This might just be me not correctly using the new appid 215 completely yet... or an actual bug with the new sdk compile tools and what not.
Yeah if defently is i think its newly compliled maps every newly made map does not work on my linux server either.
o_pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

... what is your linux server running... hl2?

anyway, with the help of activeperl, some xyntservice program, and the ping command to function as a "sleep" command, we got (2) auto updating windows servers now. that is... until a steam update is released and we have to manually update srcds.exe. I'm not sure if the -autoupdate command does that?

Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
o_tennovan

Quote:

anyway, with the help of activeperl, some xyntservice program, and the ping command to function as a "sleep" command, we got (2) auto updating windows servers now. that is... until a steam update is released and we have to manually update srcds.exe. I'm not sure if the -autoupdate command does that?
Maybe I'm just out of it today but all I really saw was "sleep" which made me tired for some reason. Soooooooooo sleepy. Damn you Mulch, I feel like you slipped a roofie in my coffee... again.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
o_lethal01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennovan
Maybe I'm just out of it today but all I really saw was "sleep" which made me tired for some reason. Soooooooooo sleepy. Damn you Mulch, I feel like you slipped a roofie in my coffee... again.
It's just his hypnotizing avatar.
o_lethal01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2006, 12:44 AM   #13
o_spiderx

Quote:

uh wouldn't it just be easier to use "task manager" for that? Or are you "windows stupid" / "linux smart" ?
o_spiderx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #14
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderX
uh wouldn't it just be easier to use "task manager" for that? Or are you "windows stupid" / "linux smart" ?
Task manager for what?

The criteria (since one server is being hosted from a place that doesn't know it is hosting a server *ahem*) was: everything automated and no trace of anything out of the usual - like a cmd prompt box popping up every 10 minutes when SVN updates... or the source dedicated server box showing up. SOOOOOOO that XYNTService program and run shit as a service and one thing about a service is you can disable it from interacting with the desktop (so no boxes/windows).

Anyway, XYNTService runs the SVN updater script which is an [active]perl script (for pure easiness over writing some .bat file [or custom win32/console/mfc app]) which runs svn update and checks the last line from the perl console/buffer/whatever for "Updated to" then kills the XYNTService running source dedicated server service, sleeps a couple of seconds (by using ping -n8 127.0.0.1 [since windows doens't have a sleep or wait cmd (unless you get the win2k3 server update or whatever it is)]) to make sure everything's shut down and the .dll's aren't locked, copies over (overwrites previous) release versions of the .dll's, "waits" again to be assured the copy finished, restarts the XYNTService source dedicated server service.

So uh, what?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #15
o_radio

Quote:
Then we'll be sending emails out to the list of launch contacts made over the past few years
does this mean it's no use kissing ass any more?
o_radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #16
o_ash'

Been keeping an eye on all this for ages now. Felt compelled to register and post! From the screenies everything is looking wonderful and I am really excited about playing TFC again. Unlucky about the recent setbacks with the SDK's and whatnot, shit happens eh? Good luck with it all, congrats on everything you've managed to achieve so far, and I can't wait to give it a go!
o_ash' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #17
o_mikequist

Well said. Let's just hope there's 50,000 people like you lurking out there lol
o_mikequist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 12:38 AM   #18
o_mr_rage

Would it be wrong to post in the bitch about updates thread now? If only Valve had one of those.
o_mr_rage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 01:11 AM   #19
o_shock

Dunno,but maybe that helps?
http://www.zombiemod.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=468
o_shock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 01:43 AM   #20
o_docwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock
never trust anyone that uses numbers in place of words as a reliable source of information.
o_docwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote