Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
[o-t] and Fortress Forever

Last edited by o_[o-t] scuzzy; 03-01-2011 at 12:39 PM.
o_[o-t] scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
(NOSPAM) attracts bots like honey, man.

Anyway, cool-beans, but maybe an e-mail would've worked better. Y'know, so you don't get guys like me replying. Just sayin'... Still the set-up sounds very cool, with the auto-posting and stuff.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
o_nodnarb

yea just random people posting is kind of annoying, but I'm happy that your clan is willing to host. My dad used to play on one of you servers.
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 11:38 PM   #4
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb
yea just random people posting is kind of annoying, but I'm happy that your clan is willing to host. My dad used to play on one of you servers.
We have a lot of people who's parents play with their kids on our servers. (Mine is too young though) We try and keep a good environment free of llamas so the kids and parents can enjoy.

Scuzzy

Old 07-18-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
o_silencer

seems like your clan likes to ban people from your servers.
o_silencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 01:07 AM   #6
o_puppychow

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer
seems like your clan likes to ban people from your servers.
if they want to have a unique membership of 30+ with no spamming 15 year olds, this is a bad thing? There are lots and lots of 30+ gamers out there and keeping it "older" can heighten the enjoyment.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #7
o_digital_ghost

It gives reasons why they were banned. As before mentioned we keep it "clean" server since alot of younger people play there as well. namely the kids of some of the memebers. Far as any swear bans its only for 30-60 min. which is auto after thier 3rd swearing violation.

That isnt the point of the thread though. It was an offer on how he'd like to assist the dev team. If they contact him or not i'm sure it will be through private means.
o_digital_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Did o-T evolve from 30+?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 11:35 PM   #9
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Two quick things, [o-t] is an *invite only* clan. There was never meant to be ANY hint of "join our clan". I apologize if it sounded like that in any way. We are not openly looking for new members.

Second, we didn't evolve from 30+, but we do play with members in 30+. Dr. Ebola, MONTOCH, and MOODYMOMMY stop by from time to time, as well as other 30+ members. [o-t] was formed in 2003 by people from several clans, including the original creator of the <bOmb> clan. We do have at least one member (SwampFox)who still plays in the 30+ league games. (Members may join league clans for league gaming).

If the random post annoyed the development team I apologize, they are welcome to copy the information down and remove this message from the forums.

Again, this wasn't a join our clan message in any way, and I meant no disrespect to the FF team. We're just looking to help you out and start playing.

Scuzzy

Old 07-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
o_mooga

SCUZZY!
Holly Sh*t!
I haven't been on the [o-t] forums or servers for a long time but i must say they are the BEST TFC servers I've ever played on.

I acsidently clicked on the wrong area of the foums and am plesently suprized to see a message from the old timers!

Are 3D, Obi, and Roger still active?
I should stop by the forums again. I stoped posting because you guys kept chaning systems every few months. :-\
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #11
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
To Scuzzy, 'cuz quotes are gettin' too big:

Okay, slightly more forgiving policy, I can appreciate that a little more, although I still think anti-swearing's silly. But like I said, it works for you guys, and I ain't gonna change that.

Still, I fail to see how a simple word (and all its thousands of potential connotations) is somehow worse for a child than watching somebody explode. That will never make sense to me. If you're trying to protect kids with this policy, I'd recommend enforcing the rating on the box. If you're trying to keep your community relatively clean and friendly, then I hear ya.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Nah, I agree. It's just, protecting the innocent on a game like that seems silly.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #13
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Nah, I agree. It's just, protecting the innocent on a game like that seems silly.
Circuitous,

I think we're comparing apples to oranges here. I don't want to debate it, but perhaps I can put our policy into perspective. The language restrictions are for several reasons, the least of which isn't to "protect" little kids.

For one, we really don't need to hear that language, it adds no value to the game. I have yet to hear someone make a case for us that using explicit language adds to the enjoyment of the game for other players. It usually ends up in an attack either on another player personally, then a spam-fest, yada yada yada. It eventually takes away from the game play and team environment. We would rather players put their energy into becoming a better shot, not lowering their vocabulary.
The aspect that you are looking at is "protecting" a child from bad language yet they are in a violent video game. A child plays a game and they know how to separate reality from fiction. They know not to go around shooting people on the street. The shooting and gore is a function of the game. The way people react to the game, the way people behave verbably and in text is how they are handling their own or other players performance. That is a player aspect, a behavioral aspect, not a game aspect. The proper way to respond to disappointment doesn't need to be "Fuck you n*gger, you're a p*ssy." That is why I think we don't see eye to eye. You see this from a game-play violence perspective and we see it from a human interaction perspective. Learning that language sticks with kids a lot more then them deciding to blow someone's head off with a machine gun. Lastly content. Yes, the game is violent. Language content doesn't need to be sexually explicit, whether directed towards a player or not. We've banned people for being far to... inquisitive... when it comes to the younger players, as well as just plain talk about the acts in general. Again, that content adds nothing to the game and can be quite harmful to younger players, much more so then seeing some CGI blood.

I understand your point. We try and be reasonable. The comments about "nuts" being a banning offense was obviously made by someone else who knows nothing about our clan, or even read our clan roster for that matter. (ie [o-t] Nutz) Circ I appreciate your comments. We are just trying to keep the game the focus. We have found that curbing language goes a long way in finding mature players that enjoy playing with the same crew night after night.

Scuzzy

Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #14
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
can i just ask whether you just asterisk out the word in question, or do you block the message completely? the latter is just uncalled for and plain annoying. when i swear i rarely use it with offensive intentions, i just use it casually, eg "wtf" is in no way offensive, but contains swear words in non-abbreviated form.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #15
o_ihmhi

I think it's funny that there are people who worry about swearing in a game that should at least be rated T, if not M.

It's like you are catering to the people who should not be playing the game at all. Does no one consider the fact that if their parents are fine with them playing such a game they probably do not give a damn if they swear either?

Or, failing parent's permission, they play anyway. It is not like the occasional "fuck" is going to burn out their virgin retinas. Geez, goddamned Americans these days.
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
o_someoldguy

I really don't see a problem.

It's their server, they pay for it, so they can admin it any way they choose. If they set up rules, then abide by them or play elsewhere. This has been the same since the early days of online gaming. If you don't like the rules or disagree with the admin, you contact them and make your disagreements known (and don't do it on forums such as this, because forums like this don't have any control over how people admin their own server). After you contact them, it's up to them to decide if they want to change.

Regardless of anything else, even though it may be a "public" server, it's not yours to behave any way you wish. If you want to allow certain types of behavior or language on a server, pay for your own. Bitching here serves no purpose.

*EDIT* Nice post and great explanation, Scuzzy.
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote