Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
Uly

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
ff spaceship

New AvD style map... in space!

download @ http://www.turtleheadz.com/downloads..._spaceship.rar

Tx to Headzy for mentoring and quick release wheel mechanisms & vid..
credit to whoever made the space skybox and any other custom textures used..
shout to the FF crew and mr.squeek

Peace

Last edited by Uly; 03-01-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Uly is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
wtf is this.............................................. .................................................. ..

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
It's a good concept, but not really self explanatory.
Yeah, sure it's a spaceship, but that's not what I meant.

I mean WHY ARE THERE NO SIGNS I GET SO LOST EVEN WHEN IM NOT PLAYING IT AS A REAL MAP

First of all, the gate. Why the balls is it so slow? I swear it's not even the default speed of 100, but it's even slower... default speed on a door = 100 = 100 hammer units / second. It's about 196 tall. 1.75 / 2 seconds with default speed. I swear it takes like a billion years. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

Cap 1 seems alright (apart from the thousand white lights that ruin your eyes), and the random holes that no-one understands - just get rid of the grate, you don't even have a template setup to replace it on next round - and boom, they've accidently gotten to Cap 3.

(And I hate that little chair that gets in the way in Attacker Spawn. - Oh, and please just put Defender Spawns on the floor. Not on that platform where you run into everything while you're spawning. Please?)

Cap 2 is OK as well, but now we get to the clusterfuck that is Caps 3 and 4.

Cap 3 involves either pulling off a beast conc, or using a small platform that you'll almost always get killed from. Seriously. WTF.

Cap 4 involves going backwards to Cap 2 to get the flag, then either going backwards again and going through Cap 3 to get to Cap 4 through water and a small elevator, or through some path with a weird teleporter that likes to get you stuck teleporting between two places because the tp destination is inside the teleporters (seriously, did you even test this map in-game)

Those lasers on Cap 4. I get it, they look cool. But do they have to hurt you? Even when you're defending? Really? Especially the roof lasers that like to kill you just for bunnyhopping to the cap?

Oh, please, please, please don't use the fucking FF logo as a solid wall because weird as it seems, it's quite annoying that there's invisible walls everywhere. Use textures that are fully visible for walls? Please?

Sure, it might be nice to have alternative routes, but really? You have to backtrack a cap to use them, and there's so little defense in them that there's no point of them existing.

And seriously, get rid of the route to Cap 4 from Cap 2, and make a real route from Cap 3 to Cap 4 that means it's not so damn confusing because everyone can use linear paths.

This ain't an RPG, so I don't give a shit about alternative routes.

Last edited by ddm999; 02-28-2014 at 08:33 AM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Headz

Posts Rated Helpful 81 Times
did you two wake up with sticky ass cheeks this morning.

I played it with 9 others and was fun, played well when people got used to the layout.

You don't conc cp3, you rjump it like any regular avd'er would.

Last edited by Headz; 02-28-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Headz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
I had fun playing it. I was utterly lost at first with all the weird secondary routes but I found my way around eventually. The layout is pretty crazy which I like, I find avd is pretty forgiving for unusual layouts. I felt like there were only about 4 people who knew where they were going when I played, I'd like to see how it plays when half of the server isn't lost.

Last edited by the_cake; 03-01-2014 at 05:09 AM.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Hey, I know my maps are shit and I'll admit they are.

The fact no-one told me why they suck and just said 'lol shit' means I have nothing to work with to improve them. Sorry about the fact that post was mainly bullshit and moaning but I had like 5 minutes to write it and I'd got up about an hour ago. (and i find it really hard to try and not just criticize maps really harshly)

I just prefer maps that are easy to work with and learn, rather than strange things where you can't just jump in and play (but let's be honest, it's a map for FF, which isn't very noob friendly in general).

I know about mapping, because I've worked with Hammer for the best part of the last 4 years. I just completely suck at fucking making stuff that plays well in any game / mod ever. I admit, it really fucking annoys me.

Doesn't stop me from being able to leave comments about other maps.

(not like avanti_ctf had any invisible walls that seemed like you can shoot through in it)
(fuckin burn want some water bitch get rekd)

Last edited by ddm999; 03-01-2014 at 07:18 PM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Brass
BABIES!

Class/Position: O
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: [FPS]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via MSN to Brass
Wtf. A map release for FF? Good job man, the critique doesn't really matter all that much (but it is a bonus when the map is seen as good) when you're directly contributing . I don't play anymore, but gj.

Last edited by Brass; 03-01-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Brass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
Hey, I know my maps are shit and I'll admit they are.

The fact no-one told me why they suck and just said 'lol shit' means I have nothing to work with to improve them. Sorry about the fact that post was mainly bullshit and moaning but I had like 5 minutes to write it and I'd got up about an hour ago. (and i find it really hard to try and not just criticize maps really harshly)
You're one map was legit, the racing one. But ff_avanti_ctf was such a pile of shit because it literally makes no sense, has no flow, and your video which you performed skills in was laughable. The map looked copied and pasted and wasn't original at all. Your original map the racing one was cool because you created it from scratch and were creative. We played it a lot and it didn't even have any texturing at all. So imagine if you made something and put a little effort into design.

For this map "ff_spaceship", the texturing is great. I love the look and feel, but the layout is nearly logicless in my opinion. I looked at it and instantly thought "this was made by someone with no game sense, or knowledge on how AvD or even FF mechanics work." It reminds me of anticitizen, the map is basically unplayable (if you're trying to have fun).

Sometimes different isn't better, you should have been studying layouts of TFC AvD maps like cmhf, pdh_r, baconbowl, osaka, magelli, etc.

You obviously have skills when it comes to hammer, but it'd be nice if you made something more down to earth. Pun intended.

I'm a huge fan of AvD. So please try again. Or remake a TFC map

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc

Last edited by aleXtric; 03-01-2014 at 11:19 PM.
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.