Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
o_catzeyes93

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Any Mappers without a project?

I am pretty sure I brought this up a LONG time ago, and it got nowhere. So, I thought I would try one last time JUST in case we have a mapper without a project.

How about a 2fortmirror? Where the base is exactly like the existing 2fort, however instead of running to the right to get to the ramp room, you run to the left. Instead of going left to get to the water spiral you turn right. Outside is obviously the same, but inside everything is switched.

Great idea? Stupid idea? What do you guys think?
o_catzeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
o_imbrifer

I don't know CatzEyes, a project like that would be a ton of work and the end result would be basically something the FF team will make better (only mirrored). At least that's how I feel about it.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
o_frenchtoast

Why?
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Sounds like a pointless exercise to me.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
o_yohan1973

Here's an Idea for you....How about someone sketching up an original map and post scans of the sketches. Then have a mock bid inwhich the best mapper interested would gain the rite to build the map and promis to add design "props" to the sketch artist...
o_yohan1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
o_catzeyes93

Quote:
I don't know CatzEyes, a project like that would be a ton of work and the end result would be basically something the FF team will make better (only mirrored). At least that's how I feel about it.
I know it would be a lot of work, and I can appreciate your generous assessment. But there are currently a lot of people working on maps right now that are also a lot of work... I was just curious to find out if anyone wanted to build a map that seemingly hasnt been done before that would probably become popular.

Quote:
Why?
Because if you go and look at the servers currently in play, you will find TONS of servers that regularly have 2fort in the rotation. This tells me that a lot of people like 2fort. This tells me that if they see a 2fort like map on a server, they may join to see what it looks and feels like. It would add a twist to the same ole friggin map that we all tolerate but has now become new due to the switcheroo.

Quote:
Sounds like a pointless exercise to me.
Why would this be pointless? FF is creating maps, FF is redoing the existing maps, and others are creating many other maps. Are you saying that all of the folks creating maps outside of the FF devteam is pointless?

Quote:
Here's an Idea for you....How about someone sketching up an original map and post scans of the sketches. Then have a mock bid inwhich the best mapper interested would gain the rite to build the map and promis to add design "props" to the sketch artist...
Is that sarcasm?

It was only a suggestion made for those that know mapping but are not currently working on one. I was in no way suggesting we replace the exististing FF 2fort to this layout. And in my opinion I would hope we WOULDNT change the 2fort layout for FF.

Again folks... it was just a suggestion. Judging by the response so far, I guess we hate the idea.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
...I can't speak for anyone else, but if I saw a "2fort" map and it was just 2fort turned backwards, I think I'd be rightly pissed off.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #8
o_nezumi

If decompilers decompiled maps back to exactly how they were originally, I'd decompile then flip 2fort just for fun.

Then I'd go kill whoever made a decompiler that can so easily rip off my work.

I wouldn't want to spend any more time on it than that though.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 AM   #9
o_jared-tm-

Meh, I say open up Hammer and go for it if you want. It's not the best idea and I think the work put into it could go into something better. Have you played around with VHE before?
o_jared-tm- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #10
o_robg

Just get whoever is making 2fort (defrag?) to flip it and make -2fort.
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
o_catzeyes93

I know nothing of mapping and dont have the time to spend learning. (I am of the older generation that has a family) I wish I did, but I dont. I know someone a couple of years ago tried to do it the 'easy' way by just 'flipping' it like you guys said, but they found it was not as easy as it seemed. So basically it WOULD need to be made from scratch. The idea of calling it -2fort is probably a good choice, but again it would seem the overall idea is not a popular one. Oh well... I know I would think it would be fun... but no one seems to want to take it on. Thanks for the constructive critsizm folks!

Old 08-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #12
o_loader

Would be a bit stupid imo..

I'd goto the entrance and go left.. wait, right.. er??

Then I'd play 2fort, and go left, thinking I was supposed to.. but then.. ermm..

People will be confused, like me
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
o_yohan1973

[quote="CatzEyes93"]
Quote:
Quote:
Is that sarcasm?

It was only a suggestion made for those that know mapping but are not currently working on one. I was in no way suggesting we replace the exististing FF 2fort to this layout. And in my opinion I would hope we WOULDNT change the 2fort layout for FF.

Again folks... it was just a suggestion. Judging by the response so far, I guess we hate the idea.
No, sorry if it came off as such. Like yours...mine was just an Idea. I just used your thread as a way to throw it out there. I figured that while you were under attack I'd sneak mine in under the radar of those folk who are verbally critizing you! lol It's not that your idea is a bad idea...I think it simply the fact that it's YOUR idea. You know how people are. We all have questionable ideas that others might not be too keen of....unless ofcourse it was theirs! Ya' feel me?

Old 08-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
o_yohan1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93
(I am of the older generation that has a family)
Yeah old man! No body told you to ruin your life with a wife and kids! Dump them and start mapping instead, you'll live longer! lol
Naw, I'm kidding ofcourse...I'm old too! No kids....just old! I was currious though about how many more "old folk" are here too. Might have to start a thread for us Old-folk to talk about our glory days in the 80's and gaming on an Atari 2600! lol

Old 08-09-2005, 03:33 PM   #15
o_frenchtoast

I know, make two more identical bases, and then extend the bridges, then make a huge cross in the middle and make it 4fort, that would kick soooo much ass.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #16
o_etzell

I don't think it's legal for Catz to have a wife.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #17
o_imbrifer

Uh oh

/me covers head

PS - I don't understand why people are flaming/poking fun at Catz, it was a valid idea, and most people just didn't take to it. Why drag it out and be an ass?

Old 08-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #18
o_frenchtoast

Being perfectly honest, I think a 4fort would kick ass

Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #19
o_yohan1973

You know what would make something like 4 fort really cool IMHO. Make it so that that reds cap point is in yellows base, yellows cap point is in greens base, greens cap point is in blues base, and blues cap point is in reds base. That way you really force each team to square off against each other. You'd always be fighting one team primarily defensivly while fighting the other offensivly. Now, is that idea wacky enough to take the heat off of catz? lol

Come on....let me have it! lol

Old 08-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #20
o_imbrifer

Quote:
Make it so that that reds cap point is in yellows base, yellows cap point is in greens base, greens cap point is in blues base, and blues cap point is in reds base.
Only if Red also has to kill Green's Hunted ;)