Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want snipers on aardvark?
Yes 39 60.94%
No 25 39.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
own3r
Custom mapper

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Poll: snipers on aardvark

Simple really do you want snipers on aardvark yes or no. Justify your choice in either case.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Industrial

no. it encourages new players to anoying behaviour; picking off offense out of the sky. They also stand in your way. Imho its a conc launch deck and not a sniper deck.
Industrial is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Yes, but the map has to be changed for them to be less... annoying. More cover in the midmap would probably do the trick. Add a sniper deck so they won't get in the way is a good idea too.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
Yes, but the map has to be changed for them to be less... annoying. More cover in the midmap would probably do the trick.
Alternatively, get rid of the sniper deck and replace it with a boost which shoots you out to the yard.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Industrial

that would give the scout 3 nades inside the enemy base.
Industrial is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial
that would give the scout 3 nades inside the enemy base.
And...? Most scouts probably (I say this because I almost always...) have 2 concs while in the enemy base anyway, so what would a third do?

Simple solution: Don't have the boost shoot you far.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
df`

I don't really understand why anyone ever thought snipers were a good idea for a game like this.

I mean, sniping is only fun for one person: the sniper.

Aardvark is the worst. If you're not a medic or a scout you have no hope of crossing the enormous midfield, and even if you are it's a tossup. As a soldier, the instant you step out of the base, bam, 1 shotted or bam, reduced to 6 health/zero armor, at which point you may as well just suicide. Every damn time.

I don't know if they're aimbotting or what, but some of these kids never miss. I rocket jump, they one-shot me. I conc jump, they one-shot me. I run around in a random way, trying to fake them out, they one-shot me. I've tried sniping and I can barely land a shot, but maybe I'm just bad at it. Regardless, it isn't good that one good sniper can make the difference between fun and very unfun.

Right up there with HW in the "needs nerfed" category, if you ask me.
df` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by df`
I mean, sniping is only fun for one person: the sniper.
I know, I've played sniper for quite some time, but when I started playing another class they piss me off big time. Doesn't make them any less effective though.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by df`
Right up there with HW in the "needs nerfed" category, if you ask me.
HW... needs nerfed? What?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
df`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
HW... needs nerfed? What?
Uh, yeah, you know, bhopping at full speed while firing the AC at max rate of fire, all the while loling at that soldier who just unloaded 4 rockets and a nade into his face...yeah...pretty bad.
df` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #11
Lyability

The problem is also that to leave the base we have to go down an ramp to reach the opening. This allows the snipers to see us before we can see them, since all they have to do is look for the feet, the body will soon follow. Its almost like a wall hack if you think about it, but it gives the sniper a split second advantage which is all most of them need.

Maybe extend the overhang on that opening a bit more to cut down on that angle of view?
Lyability is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by df`
Uh, yeah, you know, bhopping at full speed while firing the AC at max rate of fire, all the while loling at that soldier who just unloaded 4 rockets and a nade into his face...yeah...pretty bad.
Full speed? You realize that BHop is capped at a %'ge of class speed, right? All the while he's Bhopping, he's also not hitting shit.

Sounds like you just can't mulch an HW.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #13
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i would like it, but make either the sniper or the map more balanced.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #14
-Xth-AngelDust

greenday5494 please try to remember that most if not all Fortress games have been developed with a single goal in mind ... to offer a balanced class based game in a competitive arena. This unfortunately doesn't really apply to the public server experience due to the very nature of public server gaming. I'd suggest people who have complaints on any specific class base to make a consideration based on clan gameplay for this is what is usually what development is based upon to a large degree.

I'm not discrediting the problems that have been identified when playing in a public gaming format but the general basis of balance is judged on that clan based competitive instance.

As caesium has suggested some clans / organisations could limit class numbers to balance the public experience. What you have to be careful of aswell is pushing people away from your server by restricting the classes they wish to play. Afterall the public server is where we all learn how to improve our skill in our preferred class.

Last edited by -Xth-AngelDust; 10-12-2007 at 11:16 PM.
-Xth-AngelDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 02:34 AM   #15
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Xth-AngelDust
greenday5494 please try to remember that most if not all Fortress games have been developed with a single goal in mind ... to offer a balanced class based game in a competitive arena. This unfortunately doesn't really apply to the public server experience due to the very nature of public server gaming. I'd suggest people who have complaints on any specific class base to make a consideration based on clan gameplay for this is what is usually what development is based upon to a large degree.

I'm not discrediting the problems that have been identified when playing in a public gaming format but the general basis of balance is judged on that clan based competitive instance.

As caesium has suggested some clans / organisations could limit class numbers to balance the public experience. What you have to be careful of aswell is pushing people away from your server by restricting the classes they wish to play. Afterall the public server is where we all learn how to improve our skill in our preferred class.
no. i am NEVER going to join a clan for two reasons:
1. it pretty much means you have no life
2. they have stupid rules like "no fighting in yard" or w/e shit. i like to have FUN, not to be contrainsted by some retarded rules.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #16
Kapoentje

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
2. they have stupid rules like "no fighting in yard" or w/e shit. i like to have FUN, not to be contrainsted by some retarded rules.
Just another narrow-minded view on online gaming. FYI with my former TFC clan we took 2 trips to Spain, did a hell of a lot 'offline' meetings,... and whatnot. For me it was a chance to socialize (in real life) with people outside my own country. Even to this day we still meet although we don't play anymore.

And even though we did play on 'a high competitive level' we sure as hell had a lot of fun. Nobody forced anybody to 'follow rules'. Good players just know mid map action isn't going to win you a war, they don't need clans to tell them what to do.
Kapoentje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Let the servers manage the classes as they see fit. They can set them by map...

Old 10-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #18
Player
D&A Member

Why only care for clan play then? (curiosity)

Can't be arsed with videos or images (too much time for something so trivial), but I will admit that jumping is not as common as I was thought it was; however, it is not rare as you make it out to be.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
Poo Puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by df`
Aardvark is the worst. If you're not a medic or a scout you have no hope of crossing the enormous midfield, and even if you are it's a tossup. As a soldier, the instant you step out of the base, bam, 1 shotted or bam, reduced to 6 health/zero armor, at which point you may as well just suicide. Every damn time.
Now add silly 'league' rules which don't allow you to defend yourself mid-yard, and you can see why it can be more annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
Don't forget how most clans just exist to power-trip over their members, in any game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by own3r
Its called he wants all heavy classes to be destroyed by snipers so only the "clan style" offence gets through to the enemy base. This is extremely stupid for two reasons:

1.) There is no clan style limits or positioning of sgs or hws in the enemy base and people can simply lock down the ramp and prevent the offence getting any further.

2.) Without heavier classes such as soldiers taking down the multitude of sentry guns and hws it impossible to get through and defence has it very easy resulting in a stalemate. Thus making this map no fun at all to play.
I agree. I would like to do more offense, but when 9/10 times I'm killed by a sniper before I'm halfway across the map, or enter the enemy base with 21/0, I pretty much stay in my base and defend. But also on defense it gets boring because all I'm killing is medics. Yawn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Don't make assumptions. All I play on are public servers. People rarely jump >unless< they know what they are doing. Most people don't know what they are doing.
I play on pubs and clan servers. I don't jump much because its not my style. I'm not playing Bunnyhop Forever. I will jump or bunnyhop as part of a tactic or sequence of moves, but I don't do it continuously. And I find it annoying to watch others constantly bouncing around the base, either defense or offense. I think it looks retarded, but that's just me apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Why only care for clan play then? (curiosity)

Can't be arsed with videos or images (too much time for something so trivial), but I will admit that jumping is not as common as I was thought it was; however, it is not rare as you make it out to be.
He's trying to say that if you don't jump like a rabbit, you're not a good player. It's the old "You don't bunnyhop because you can't" mentality, and disregards the crowd who "Doesn't bunnyhop because they don't want to" and labels them as inferior. Typical elitist statement.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #20
punkrockrocks
When patch will out?

I say yes, snipers belong in Aardvark, but more cover in the yard couldn't hurt.
punkrockrocks is offline   Reply With Quote