Maya 6 33.33%
3ds Max 5 27.78%
Other 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2005, 04:41 AM   #1
o_danger

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
XSI/Maya/3dsMax

I'm quickly discovering if I want to do mapping for HL2, I'll need to be proficient enough to create my own props.

I've used Maya before and liked it, but how is the compatibility for making it a halflife model? Am I going to have to jump through hoops?
XSI appears to be advertised as Valve's solution for models.
Back in the days it was 3d max all the way.
I don't know if Milkshape3d has HL2 support yet, but it seemed simple enough in Half-Life 1.

Which do you prefer, and why? Which do you feel is the easiest to model and UV wrap things?
I'm just looking to make some basic shapes.
o_danger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
o_anshinritsumai

I personally prefer Maya out of all of those. It's technically the industry standard for animation and modelling; but it's compatibility to export to .mdl is it's limiting factor.

It's really up to you. Because you can use your favorite, and then save the file in a native XSI filetype as well, then open it and compile the .mdl with XSI.
o_anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
o_lt.hinkle

I use Maya , i love the interface and workflow. Max is also nice, but i think XSI is just plain ugly The Maya export script that comes with the source SDK works perfectly imo ( apart from an import bug that can be fixed very easily )
o_lt.hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Compiling to mdl is easy and straightforward with maya. the SDK provides an SMD exporter. If you are using 6.5 you need to apply this fix.

http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=...=0&id=839575#1

Any of the packages are suitable for prop creation really of them all maya has the weakest poly tools however i prefer maya for other reasons.
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
o_yohan1973

I'm working on my first source map, I'm going to also create some models, unlike most of you I'm thinking about using autocad to create my models, then bring them over into Max unless I LEARN to do that in XSI. I use autocad at work so it's native to me but I also might just break down and do them in XSI since afterall...it is the program the boys at Valve are using and I'm sure there is plenty of support data out there also...
o_yohan1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2005, 03:48 PM   #6
o_bluppfisk

afaik Milkshape does have support for HL2.. (see snarkpit tutorial). How would the modellers of this forum rate milkshape3d?
o_bluppfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
ive had good experiences with it in the past, i modelled my ford capri for halflife rally :D
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I picked up the student (full) version of XSI, and have been going through the tuorials. I've been quite impressed with it so far. I've been using version 4.0, and I have yet to have it crash on me. XSIs interface is not intuitive, but once you get to know it, is quite efficient and logical.

If you are doing any animation, XSI has some great non-linear tools. The student version came with a set of good tutorials that cover just about every main feature of XSI, like character rigging and texturing.

But really, I think XSI, Max, and Maya are all great products.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #9
o_danger

Ok - quick question for all you Maya modelers out there

I decide to go with Maya, since that's what I'm most familiar with. The only Maya I have however is Maya 6.0. Will I be okay using this or does it not have enough compatibility?

Also, what post poly-meshing operations need to be performed on a model before it can be compiled? I've never compiled a HL1 model let alone an HL2 model, although the .qc file setup looks pretty easy.

I apologize if theres already tutorials out there on this stuff, I haven't found much for modeling tutorials beyond poly meshing stuff.
o_danger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
o_mr.nemo

I have 3ds Max 5 and 6 and Maya 5.0 Unlimited. I use Max out of the 2. I love max's UI and its fluent to those how know it. I use Connon Fodder's SMD Import and use 2 different .SMD Exports. They seem to work good for me.
o_mr.nemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #11
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

They're all nice apps, but I _hate_ the vertex editing mode for XSI. Max is far easier to work with imo. I've yet to use Maya, but I hear good things about it.