Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
vartaxe

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
connection problems... sending client info...

when i try to connect to an server with the cornfield (and with others too...) map it just wont connect... wtf!? (dustbowl for example works great...)

btw in the console it gives me no errors... just some normal warings that certainly is equal for everybody... (about valve textures support and stuff like that...)

Last edited by vartaxe; 09-27-2007 at 11:02 PM.
vartaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Roach
SourceMod User

Send a message via AIM to Roach
Hit ctrl+alt+delete and see if your steam.exe is up at 99% CPU usage or somewhere thereabouts.

Close Steam, and you should get an error message thrown. It happened to me for a little while with the text prior to that.
Roach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
vartaxe

omfg
now i cant even connect to any server...
i have those ports forwarded

anything wrong?
maybee it my new isp that sucks!!! i have 2mb (2048/256) adsl powered by tele2.lu (previously i had telepac.pt)
someone said to me that tele2.lu has some upload compression technology maybee thats the problem!?
please help me i want to play

Old 09-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
vartaxe

ok nothing done
i have my firewall off, ports forwarded, winsock reset!
and i can't still not play...
when i try to connect it hangs up at sending client info and in the console i get:
Quote:
Fortress Forever
Map: ff_dustbowl
Players: 1 / 22
Build 3224
Server Number 36
No pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
CAsyncWavDataCache: 3 .wavs total 0 bytes, 0.00 % of capacity
Begin loading faces (loads materials)
End loading faces (loads materials)
player/demoman/demoman.mdl/player/ff_player_shared.mdl : missmatched parent bones on "ffSkel_Hips"
player/medic/medic.mdl/player/ff_player_shared.mdl : missmatched parent bones on "ffSkel_Hips"
player/hwguy/hwguy.mdl/player/ff_player_shared.mdl : missmatched parent bones on "ffSkel_Hips"
player/pyro/pyro.mdl/player/ff_player_shared.mdl : missmatched parent bones on "ffSkel_Hips"
Initializing renderer...
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_01a.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/shrub_01a.mdl)
wtf!?
i'm now downloading lastest directx (august redist...) and lastest nvidia drivers... i hope it's gonna work!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
JFK=GCHQ=

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I get the exact same problem, Let me know if you find a solution.
cheers

Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
your evil twin

I find that I can normally connect to a server first time without any problem, but when the server changes to another map, it freezes at "sending client info".

I have 1GB of RAM. How much RAM does everyone else here have? It is my suspicion that it's a case of the system running out of RAM or something.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Yaesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaxe
when i try to connect to an server with the cornfield (and with others too...) map it just wont connect... wtf!? (dustbowl for example works great...)

btw in the console it gives me no errors... just some normal warings that certainly is equal for everybody... (about valve textures support and stuff like that...)
I have EXACTLY the same issue as you vartaxe!!!!!!

Does anyone have a solution yet?

Thanks

Y

Old 09-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Well I had a problem similar to this yesterday. I didn't hang but I did load after about 5-15 minutes. I was trying to fix my server filter problem (FF not showing up in the server filter outside of game) and after I ran the Source SDK and then did the stress test I load within minutes. I'm running a slower computer so thats normal for me. Try that?
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Have any of you tried creating a listen server? Maybe some shit didn't get installed properly, and a quick reinstall would fix.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
vartaxe

hum i found this page that can maybee help (stuff about rates...) http://files.w3k.mbpv.org/rates.php

Old 09-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
vartaxe

omfg... i used the driver cleaner .net to remove my nvidia drivers to install the last ngodrivers and now my screen res is fucked up :O i normaly use 1440*900 but now if i do that i'll have to scroll from one side to the other side of the screen to view the entire desktop... like if i had an 4:3 screen with an 16:10 res... im now using 1024*768 on a 16:10 screen... (its streched and looks ugly)

Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 AM   #12
aflaedge
Resident QWTF God

This seems to be the place to post this so FYI I got this just a few minutes ago. The map loaded fine, but this was in the console so I figured I would copy and paste it for you guys.

Fortress Forever
Map: ff_dustbowl
Players: 18 / 22
Build 3224
Server Number 53
No pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
CAsyncWavDataCache: 369 .wavs total 0 bytes, 0.00 % of capacity
Begin loading faces (loads materials)
End loading faces (loads materials)
Initializing renderer...
Warning! Encountered old format VTF file; please rebuild it!
Error reading in file "materials/models/grenades/napalm/napalm_glass.vtf"
Warning! Encountered old format VTF file; please rebuild it!
Error reading in file "materials/models/buildable/detpack/detpack_glass.vtf"
aflaedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
SaII

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaxe
EDIT: PEOPLE JUST MAKE SHURE YOURE PC HAS AN PUBLIC IP ADDRESS ASSIGNED TO IT! AND IT SHOULD WORK!
how do you know if your pc has a public ip address?

and how to change it

Old 09-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
vartaxe

Quote:
Solution?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SKIP TO SOLUTION 2 IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THIS DIARY WHICH IT TURNED OUT TO BE..

I've been having these exact same problems as well. I've read through the whole thread and tried all suggested solutions, but none of them has solved the problem for me.

Someone in this thread noted that problems started to arise when they installed the Insurgancy mod. I'm not sure if the issue might be related to it, but I also installed Insurgancy, but am not sure if that was the moment the problems started. Does Insurgancy do something with port 27010 or 27011???

Reproducing the problem
For me, the reproducable scenario is the following:
1) Launch TF2 (or any other source game)
2) Open the server browser, retrieve a list of servers.
3) Connect to any of the servers
4) It will either stop at the loading screen or a few seconds after being in the game. You will receive a "Warning: connection problem".

IMPORTANT: The problem occurs exactly 1 minute after you refreshed your server browser.
IMPORTANT2: The problem only seems to occur when using server browser when connecting to your server. If you use something like HLSW or nnscript (IRC) it doesn't occur. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Solution 1 (Although solution 2 is better if possible)
For everyone having the same issue with Speedtouch modems (I've got the 780), the following information may solve it. However, it may require some expertise to apply it. Keep on reading.

As I'm not a stranger to telnetting to modems etc, I've been testing a bit more. I've found something interesting.

The 'connection applist' command retuns this line in particular:

Quote:
GAME(UDP) udp 0 enabled 1' 0" ------

The 1' 0" means the timeout is set to 1 minute. The timeout can be changed to 10 seconds using:

Quote:
connection appconfig application=GAME(UDP) timeout=10

If you change the timeout to 5 minutes (300 seconds), the problem will occur after 5 minutes. The reason I changed the value to 10 seconds, is so that after retrieving the server list in the server browser, I just wait around 15 seconds before attempting to join the server. The problem will not occur now.

Cause
The cause seems to be that once the GAME(UDP) application is triggered, it will shut down all connections to the particular IP after the timeout (somehow the serverbrowser uses port 27010 or 27011 which triggers this binding???). The speedtouch may not distinguish it's connections on port level but on IP level on this specific part of the modem.

Solution 2
A little while later I found an even better solution. To completely stop the problem on my setup, I have done the following. Enter the command:

Quote:
connection bindlist

You will get a result like, you will be needing this information:

Quote:
GAME(UDP) udp 27010-27011

Enter the command (modify this if your portrange says something else!):

Quote:
connection unbind application=GAME(UDP) port=27010-27011

This completely solved the problem here. Note that this solution is only possible if you have a speedtouch (or similar) modem... in other modems the solution may be possible, but with other commands.

Sorry for the extensive story, I'm just glad I finally got rid of this connection issue and I'm hoping this technical stuff may ring some bells at some devs.

Last edited by vartaxe; 09-24-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
vartaxe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by belink
Where do I enter in those commands?

1) Start a command promt (start -> run -> "cmd" -> ok)
2) Type 'telnet speedtouch', or if that doesn't work, try 'telnet 192.168.1.254'.
3) It'll ask for you to login to the modem (username/password)

After this you're on the command line of your modem.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
vartaxe

btw if anyone wants to undo it just type:

connection bind application=GAME(UDP) port=27010-27011

or whatever ports it was...

Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #17
Kingsofa

ummmm everyone who is connected to the internet has a public IP, highly doubt this problem is solved. I too am still having this problem to a degree, when i join a server after i turn my comp on i can play 1-2 maps before all fails and goes to hell. The stupid thing just wont get off of retreiving server info no matter how long i let it sit. The hl2.exe just crashes at this point and i need to restart my comp

Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #18
rag

Hi All,

I've been looking forward to this mod like many for a long time... as I was a big fan of the original TFC - and liked the idea of what you guys want to achieve with this.... also, alot time for some of the developers here... whom I sometimes knew a little in the old days

Looks like a good job btw

Unfortunately IM having some issues like others... hey it's new... it's going happen

AMD athlon 4000
2 gig ram
geforce 7800gtx
BT openworld
ADSL 8mg
Avast Anti virus

Ran the source SDK test and 89fps - source games play fine for me

Problem:
Connect - sometimes as described by others i get hung up on client info... but thats about 25% time
Problem is quickly after connection i lost connection.
Turned off firewalls and antivirus - nothing like that helps

Once... but only once I managed to get a game.. where I signed out after the map closed (p.s. very much enjoyed)

IM no techie.. far from it, and alot of what i read goes over my head... but would really appreciate any help... I'll get in someone with more than 2 brain cells to try impliment what you suggest.

cheers for the time

[MDB]Rag[TsK]
(just read a little of the steam post above thansk for the link Vartaxe... I'll try the things listed there)
Not sure why this happens, turned of