Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Competitive Advice/Theory/Project

I am working on a player manual right now focusing on the competitive side of Fortress Forever. I'm not that experienced with this, so I am offering it as a community project to anyone willing to help. Post your advice here to beginners coming into the competitive scene. Remember, this is a competitive context. It presumes some knowledge.

Don't say something stupid like "The Soldier has a rocket launcher. It deals explosive damage." rather explain how to best utilize that splash damage or introduce some method of play not seen in the public scene. Something that makes the reader go "Hm, that's cool, I never thought about doing that."

Likewise, don't say something like "Playing defense? Defend the flag. Running offense? Grab the flag." be more in depth and explain the strategy behind it. What is the best way to defend? Run offense? What about as a specific class, etc. I don't want this to turn into my previous attempt.

Write about specific classes or about competitive play theory in general.
Try to be as detailed as possible and as generous as possible. Thanks...

EDIT: By the way, what are the de facto rules for pickups that everyone generally agrees upon?

Last edited by Bridget; 02-03-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
What happened to the old thread of this?
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I never put it in the context of competitive play; It was merely about general game theory. 'How do you play Fortress Forever' instead of 'How do you play Fortress Forever intelligently/strategically/well'. It ended up with sarcastic and obvious suggestions like: "Grenades are powerful. Throw them at people." I got what I asked for, but the problem is that I asked for the wrong thing.

Last edited by Bridget; 02-03-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Gotcha. I look forward to reading the suggestions/completed work, then. I don't play competitively very often (read: pretty much never), so maybe the tips will encourage me to give it a shot.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
let's keep the trolling out of here shall we?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan View Post
let's keep the trolling out of here shall we?
^ was a warning...this is the 2nd...that's all you get. I'm not gonna play this game, next one just gets banned. If you don't care, have nothing _productive_ to add, or just want to troll I strongly advise you to not test me and just move on w/out hitting the reply button.

This includes posting stupid ass pictures that contribute nothing to the thread (Genghis) or putting useless posts in here (Space).
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
immortal
BADASS

Class/Position: D Solly, O Med
Gametype: kill.conc.cap
Affiliations: [TALOS]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Bridget, i'm gonna try to write some stuff, and them i'm gonna ask you to check the grammar and other possible mistakes before posting

Last edited by Dr.Satan; 02-04-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: removing of topic stuff
immortal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Green Mushy
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via AIM to Green Mushy
Some off the top of my head medic tips: When you are playing O, remember which players are playing which positions, and keep track of when they die. If you know a defender of a certain position just died, u can choose that route. You can figure out whether its better to prime a nade or a conc, go for the gun or the demoman. When im really trying, i try to make make mental pictures of what is happening on the other team through just the death notice icons. U can formulate strategies very well on the fly if you do this rather then just improvising, which can lead to needless deaths.

An extension of that is to try and keep track of where your teammates are, and whose attention they are stealing. If you know your teammate is running ahead of you, and distracting a sentrygun or frontline defender, u can take those opportunities to sneak by somewhere and take some kind of advantage. Especially if your teammate takes the demo's pipes, he can buy a window for you to grab the flag.

When u throw grenades at an sg, try to also hit the engineer. Its a good idea to throw the gren actually at the engineer that is healing the gun, and both can die in the process. If the engineer is sticking out, you can sometimes kill the engineer with your nails first, and kill the gun quickly after.( or u can damage both of them due to some strange physics with the nailgun )
Green Mushy is offline   Reply With Quote