Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
HL style Games

You dudes play some wide variety of games so I am wondering, what kind of good HL2 style games are out there these days.

I have finished all I can stand of Fallout 3 and kind of want this style going forward. Strait up shooters without some good story lines get boring to me. Unless is Duke Nukem of course.

I already played these guys:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - loved it
Fallout 3 - loved it
HL2 - hell yeahs
Prey - who knew aliens can be so fucked up
Command and Conquer Generals - guess I like those too.

On the list - just haven't got around to them yet
Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer 3 - long live Kane!

There was some new X-Com game coming out as well....

EDIT// Holy s, I can't believe I haven't played bio-shock yet.

Last edited by Ihmhi; 02-22-2009 at 11:41 AM.
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Red Alert 3 is atrocious!

I can't recommend any games, because I only play storyless fps games (quake 3, tfc, warsow (in order of superbity!)). Most other games bore the crap out of me; I can cope with few rts games for an hour or two before I fall back to mindless fps murder :P
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Icculus
D&A Member

you ever play painkiller? that's a fun old school style shooter with pretty good graphics and unbelievably large bosses.

Farcry was a good one. Don't know about FC2 but i've heard it's not as good.

The Witcher? Some good combat but alot of going back and forth. Most of the game takes place in 1 town.

i've been curious about HellGate London but haven't picked it up yet. Anyone play that one?

Turok is supposed to be a pretty decent FPS but I haven't played it yet.

There's always the Halo series but I didn't like those too much. they tend to get very repetative.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

-Icculus
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
i've been curious about HellGate London but haven't picked it up yet. Anyone play that one?
Don't. For the love of all that is good and right with this world, don't. According to the System Requirements Lab, I can run Hellgate: London no problem at all, and the only reason I don't get the recommended, is because I don't have vista, or directx 10, and the only one I'd be willing to fix(not getting vista) is a slightly better graphics card. I have to play it on the lowest settings possible, and even then, it freezes all the damn time. I took a 10:34 minute video and during that time, froze over ten times. I can upload it if you want, but if you like to actually play a game, get something else.

Edit: For comparison, I can play Dead Space, with decent options, without a problem, and that same website says I don't even make the minimum requirements for it.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
Don't. For the love of all that is good and right with this world, don't. According to the System Requirements Lab, I can run Hellgate: London no problem at all, and the only reason I don't get the recommended, is because I don't have vista, or directx 10, and the only one I'd be willing to fix(not getting vista) is a slightly better graphics card. I have to play it on the lowest settings possible, and even then, it freezes all the damn time. I took a 10:34 minute video and during that time, froze over ten times. I can upload it if you want, but if you like to actually play a game, get something else.

Edit: For comparison, I can play Dead Space, with decent options, without a problem, and that same website says I don't even make the minimum requirements for it.
Not to derail skullbash' thread but how do you like Dead Space? That's another one i've been wanting to play.

-Icculus

Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Not to derail skullbash' thread but how do you like Dead Space? That's another one i've been wanting to play.

-Icculus
I liked it, up until a point. It's a nice game, looks great, plays pretty well, and for me was fun until I started being able to predict what was coming up next. Once I figured that out, it wasn't fun for me anymore. You might have more luck than I, and a lot of people like it, so I can't really give a recommendation on how worth buying it is, since I had such varying results while playing. It did seem to have a good story though.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Quote:

-Icculus
It plays very much like a Resident Evil game. The dismemberment system saves it from being run-of-the-mill, as do the unique weapons. The story is pretty minimal. There's a thread on it.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post

I agree with you that Hellgate isn't very good, but I don't agree with you on any of the reasons you listed.

Hellgate runs fine. I played it on medium settings with my >old< computer and never had a hiccup. I can play it now (on single player only) on the highest settings without a hiccup.

You don't need DX10 to play it.

Any stuttering is, honestly, user error. The recording stuff exists because Hellgate doesn't get along with recording programs. I don't know why.

Essentially, any performance issues you have with Hellgate >now< are user error. The game runs fine and plays just as well.

The >problems< with the game are in level design and lack of online features (none now). Before the game shut down the only problem was absolutely terrible level design. It's hard to understand what I mean without playing it. It's even harder to understand when the majority of the levels are random.

The generator they used to make the levels in the game are pretty terrible. They have a certain set of conditions that 'have' to be met, but sometimes wouldn't. For example, sometimes you'd have an unreachable area that you HAVE to get to. The problem is that... you can't get to it. At all.

Other problems, like "I've been here before" syndrome as you go through the streets, sewers, subways, and other places a hundred times because the variation in levels is fairly low. And yes, they're all randomly layed out. It's very hard to explain without actually experiencing it for yourself.

There are, however, some amazing things to do in the game. For example, going inside the brain of somebody and fighting off his ego is really, really awesome. Fighting against a HUGE beast right next to one of those famous Museums in London (I forget the name ), and the final boss are just... well, good. The plot drags on for a bit until the end, but it's very good as well.

The combat is solid. No complaints at all. All in all, the game is very fun if you play it every now and then. It's a very solid casual game. Problems occur when you try to make it something that it isn't, like an MMO. That's when companies fail hard and the online servers get shut down.

In fact, I'm going to start playing the single player again.

Also, there is no LAN (uasfhksfksdhfkslfhsakhflsajkhfljkasdhfkljs) but some people are working on it.

http://hellgateaus.net/

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
Stuff
Read my post again. It doesn't run fine on any settings I have, and I have more than the minimum requirements for running the game, I just don't have the recommended because of the vista crap. I tried playing the game like I normally do, with 30~40 processes running, and I've done it with hardly any running, just over 20. I'm not overheating or anything, all the drivers are up to date, it just runs like shit. I can install it again and try and run it if you want to see, and the video I have of it running is from my phone, it's just nothing I could do would make it run better. Graphics settings didn't change it at all, surprisingly. But yes, it did have all the problems you described as well.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
you ever play painkiller? that's a fun old school style shooter with pretty good graphics and unbelievably large bosses.

Farcry was a good one. Don't know about FC2 but i've heard it's not as good.

The Witcher? Some good combat but alot of going back and forth. Most of the game takes place in 1 town.

Turok is supposed to be a pretty decent FPS but I haven't played it yet.

There's always the Halo series but I didn't like those too much. they tend to get very repetative.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

-Icculus
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention I also played the Max Payne games recently, I completely enjoyed those as well.

Farcry is pretty cheap. I might check that one out.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
definitely check out painkiller and the battle out of hell expansion. theres a mod or other expansion called overdose as well, but i havent played that so i cant say if its any good or not, but the original game and BOOH are very fun.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
You can get PK, BOOH, and OD all in one package on Steam. It's worth it.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullBash View Post
Farcry is pretty cheap. I might check that one out.

You won't be disappointed, that's a great game. Just don't expect to run into every situation with guns blazing or you'll find yourself dead in a very short ammount of time. Use the binoculars and remember.. stealth is your friend.

-Icculus

Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
I was a big fan of PK. I heard overdose was lame though.

MIRRORS EDGE!!!
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
You won't be disappointed, that's a great game. Just don't expect to run into every situation with guns blazing or you'll find yourself dead in a very short ammount of time. Use the binoculars and remember.. stealth is your friend.

-Icculus
I actually prefer that play style of stealth. I basically snuch around most of the game sniping people with criticals in FA3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
System Shock 2
I didn't realy specify but I was refering to games say in the last couple of years. I played SS2 when it came out since I loved the original. But then agian I may have missed some old classics so bring em on.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
tu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player View Post
Red Alert 3 is atrocious!

I can't recommend any games, because I only play storyless fps games (quake 3, tfc, warsow (in order of superbity!)). Most other games bore the crap out of me; I can cope with few rts games for an hour or two before I fall back to mindless fps murder :P
whoa me too. minus the rts. never tried one.

Last edited by tu!; 02-13-2009 at 09:51 PM.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote