Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-20-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
o_shaggy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Happier surroundings

It's a request from the guy that's tired of every map being gloomy. Lets have some maps pleasing to the eye. I'm not talking about a map that looks nice. Yall are doing a wonderful job with that. I'm talking about location of the map. I guess an example is the best way for me to explain.

Ex: Two white beaches seperated by crystal blue water w/ sand dumes bridging the isands together. The bases are carved into dorment volcanos with lush green alergy covering them. Put a mist cover at the level of the volcano where the map roof is. So the volcano doesnt look cut off. Have an underwater cave entrance. Let the inside of the bases be carved with different types of rock. Have marble, crystal, ect., making it eye appealing. Anyways you get the picture.

Wouldnt this type of map be nice to see once in a while. Only map i can think of that uses this concept is Osaka. Heck even adding little music for atmosphere like Osaka wouldnt be a half bad idea.

Anyways just a thought from a useless person
o_shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
o_frenchtoast

Far Cry?
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
o_deadeh

I liked your post shaggy

Im reminded of the tv show "different strokes" yet again, different strokes for different folks. I would quite like too see an array of settings personally...not just gloom, but a full spectrum of map type surrounding thingys.
o_deadeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
o_imbrifer

Fear not, they are in the works.... muahaha...

Plus, with this beautiful engine, do you think people will stand for the same-old same-old gloominess in maps? Maybe in the first ones to come out (or that are included) but I don't expect it to last long...
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
o_meisteh

you should go play pokemon games or something, fortress gamers are all dark, deprived, lonely men.
o_meisteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I like this idea.

It reminds me very vividly of a map I tried to make years ago, when I took a shot at mapping for HL1. Then I realized I suck at it and no tutorial I could find was of any help at all...

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at it in HL2. My idea was two large mountains facing each other, with bases inside of them. With HL2 it could be really awesome, with what I envisioned...

(Any HL2 mappers willing to teach a newb? Or point me to a good, complete tutorial?)

Old 06-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
o_ivaqual

team fortress = dark industrial.
i guess you're right when you say a few "prozac ehanced" map wouldn't hurt.

however : "Plus, with this beautiful engine, do you think people will stand for the same-old same-old gloominess in maps? Maybe in the first ones to come out (or that are included) but I don't expect it to last long..."

erm, what ? are you implying that older engines can only run gloomy maps if they want to look decent ? or that gloomy looks inevitably worse than bright ?
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I think he means that the old engine wasn't as good at making lush/beautiful/nice surroundings, as compared to HL2's. Areas were little more than prearranged boxes, and having them be light and colorful didn't make the best of sense, in the long run.

I don't see why TFC *has* to be gloomy and dark.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
o_ivaqual

it does not HAVE to be gloomy and dark, it's just that it traditionally IS. team fortress inherited that from quake. have you ever seen the original models ? they are dirty, violent and tinted with cynism. of course a more "bright" setting would be refreshing and welcome, but hey : we're in a middle of a war wich features napalm, gatling-like rifles, biological warfare and backstabbing - this is no wonderland.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

If we can have concmaps, we can have CTF in Hawaii.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
If we can have concmaps, we can have CTF in Hawaii.
yeah! come for a visit. I could always use a good LAN.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote