zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime Pirate
Shame on whoever it was who said GTA4 is Over rated.

Lets look at this in the bigger picture for a moment. All bias' aside, lets look at the game from the industry standpoint. This game is groundbreaking, and about to rock the gaming world, just like GTA3 did.
Yeah, it looks just like GTA3... all over again

GTA3 was all about being able to free roam in a city. Rockstar did a great job at that. Many people played the game or hours upon hours on end, like it or not, In terms of sales and general reviews, The free roam formula worked and set standards for any other sandbox game available today.
It also had terrible physics, controls, and gameplay. Halo sells great, but it also sucks.

Lets come back to present day, with the impending launch of GTA4. This time around they were going for detail in just about everything about the game. This is no easy feat considering that it takes place in a city modeled after New York. And from first glance guys, ive been to the city PLENTY of times, they got the look right. the city itself looks like its been lived in for decades, and around every corner you find more and more details to enhance this illusion. Rockstar pulled out all of the stops with all the other details, reading many of the reveiws and keeping a close eye on this game, Ive read that a single pack of civilian models can populate a good few blocks of the city without even seeing one repeated model. That alone is impressive.
Given that I'm sure a good amount of the devs came from cities, I'm sure they got that part right. The civies all looked similar.

The visuals in this game granted are not something like Gears of war or unreal tournament 3. But take into consideration the amount of content between GTA4 and gears of war. In Gears of war you may have one street of a ruined city with a few cars scattered about, and maybe 8 really high poly characters on screen. In grand theft auto you see a very large city scene filled with plenty of cars and people, and PLENTY of detail all between. With the amount of detail packed into GTA4, its a wonder how they even compressed all that data down to a single disk, and it only suffers VERY MINOR hiccups when loading the upcoming city scapes in the backround (from what i hear).
Rockstar has had shit-tastic graphics compared to every other console game post-Playstation, except maybe Manhunt (which still was in the mediocre area). Shitty games aren't made any better by mildly changed content or low load times.

As ive stated before in other threads, i am an aspiring modeller/animator for video games, going to an entertainment industry college. And i can tell you full well, that, like this game or not, Grand theft auto 4 is going to set the standard of videos games to come for quite a few years.
You're a college student who's learning how to use Maya, not a games market analyst.

IGN gave it a 10/10 not because its 'perfect'. Nothing is, the label for the score doesnt say perfect, it sais 'Masterful'. And By Masterful they mean exactly what ive said in the last paragraph. I couldve went on and on about this, But my fingers are tiring now, time to go play more Super modded to all hell Oblivion.
Halo 3 gets rave reviews from everywhere else, but still is total shit.

In b4 any "arrr GTA fanboy", gtfo, and any potential flamewars.
4chanfail

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote