View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Chickenprotector
Flamer of Worlds
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro (O)
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
What it comes down to is how much work you need to put into it.

Source 2 is the best choice because it cuts your work in half. You can use the existing assets you all already have (as fugly as they may be compared to modern standards). You also don't need to worry about a new mapping format (I think). These are subject to new information that proves me wrong, but I can assume that I doubt it'll change.

The most major job is to clean up the code and get it optimized. Basically you'll be starting from scratch on that.

Unreal you get a shiny new engine and interface, but the issue is that you're starting practically from scratch. You need new assets, maps, etc. And that extends the development time significantly.

Basically, if you're looking to get the game out the door as quickly as possible, and in incremental updates, it's best to stick to source. If you want to put A LOT of effort in, use Unreal.

I wish I could contribute, but I don't have the necessary skills nor the time to devote to learn them at the moment.

And while you're at it, get rid of the fucking useless laser grenades *rages*

Last edited by Chickenprotector; 05-26-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Chickenprotector is offline   Reply With Quote