Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Stay away from FPSBanana!

I'm going to spare you the long and detailed story of my horrible adventures with Win32.Trojan.TDSS. Instead, I'll offer you a friendly warning. STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM FPSBANANA! In theory, it's a wonderful site with tons of great stuff for customizing your gaming experience, but the website itself is just pure shit. This site has been constantly labelled as an attack site by Google, and after my experience, I understand why.

I was prompted with a "This file can not be opened. Please select a program to open it with" box, which looked legitimate (arguable). After canceling this window, I was presented with a fake security icon in my systray. After closing the unwanted processes in my Task Manager, I proceeded to download Ad-Aware. It didn't install right away, and after a dozen reboots later and a barrage of advertisements, I got it to work. However, Ad-Aware only did the job of detecting the malicious software running and being present on my machine. It did not remove the Trojan after reboot, as it said it would. So, I had to remove the specific file from its hiding spot in my System's Driver files using RootRepeal. Now, an hour and twenty minutes into the new scan; no infected files.

Stay away from FPSB. I'm certain this problem started from browsing that website, and I'm now certain I gave it the lead-way by falling for that faked 'This program can not be opened' bullshit. Just a friendly warning. Don't fall for such bullshit. I'm pretty 'eagle-eye' when it comes to spotting bullshit, but that dialog window convinced me it was my operating system.

How odd such an event to happen after hearing James Randi say [para-phrase] "Everyone can be fooled. No one is immune to trickery. We all have the same 'hunk of meat' in our heads – with the same wiring, patterns, and such. " .. Ha

(I'm presuming, of course, that FPSBanana is a "house-hold name" around here.)
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote