Old 03-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium View Post
Yeah, I started with the idea of damage based assists and think that would definitely help, but what really is the behaviour we're looking to encourage?

Imo recently damaging the enemy player doesn't necessarily mean you were supporting your team mate that killed him (e.g. you could be spamming the base entrance whilst the engy/demo do all the work in the flagroom), and conversely not recently damaging the enemy player doesn't necessarily mean you weren't (e.g. simply your presence can have a massive effect on enemy player behaviour, especially around the sentry/demo).

I therefore figure that defining "supporting a team mate" as just being in his vicinity, and rewarding this with some kind of credit for his kills, motivates behavior that benefits the game overall. I also think that the side effect of an "inexperienced" player being able to retreat to the flagroom and amass kills/assists simply by being near his "experienced" team mate (i.e. without actually hitting much himself) may also help new players realise they are contributing to the team and not get frustrated.

As for FP, do FP motivate most players? For years there's been the desire to make FP desirable (and useful even?) but afaik no convincing consensus emerged.

Most players do seem to be motivated by their personal kill score, hence why kills/assists would probably do the trick.
i think "vicinity points" should be given as Fortress points not kill assists as being next to someone afk could give you kills and that also seems ass backwards to me also counter intuitive to what the already defined kill assist mean. i think if you make assist kills only rewarded if you do a high enough percent of damage not just i hit him once with a shotgun.

my vision for fortress points is if you can figure out how useful you were to the team so it would have to record more than just kills and capping as that is only a small fraction of what is actually helpful. the idea ultimately is that you could look at your score figure out how useful you were that match as k/d doesnt' imply usefulness at all in game. now would it be useful for pro players probably not as much but thats not not as much teh point.

also where can i find the list? even if you guys can't agree on what to do i have an idea i want to flesh it out make it an actual fleshed out proposal instead of just brainstorming which hasn't resulted in an idea.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 03-30-2015 at 05:28 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote