Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #28
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
I would love other games AIs to learn techs from the player, too.
Only in certain genres or situations. In a realistic environment, a trained soldier is not likely to deviate from its normal course of action, not in the middle of the action, or at least while it isn't horribly losing.

That said, AI should only copy useful stuff. If I'm hiding behind a crate and pwning baddies with a big gun, they should find ways to flush me out, flank me, that sort of stuff. They should not copy me and all hide behind obstacles waiting for me to come out. They should however, be more cautious, since my behaviour signals to them that I'm unlikely to put myself in unnecessary danger.

However, if it's a FPS with an organization of baddies, they will most likely keep HQ informed of my actions and now, also my tactics. If a previous group noticed that I am sneaky bastard, the next will be more on their toes, stick together more and generally be more alarmed. No more "Hey, what's that noise", but "It's him! Take your positions!".

This forces me to change my tactics, so I start sniping them, picking them off one by one. This gets relayed to the next group, who will take cover before I get there, possibly attempting to ambush me. But I'm not stupid, so I flush them out with grenades, which will mean the next group will attempt some other tactic. Hiding in different spots, laying traps, spying on me for a while until they think I'm off guard, rather than immediately opening fire. Even sending different units after me, with specialties that they think will be more likely to stop me.

Ya, I guess that'd be cool.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote