View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #41
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
I keep trying to stop myself from posting, because it won't change anything (the game will get good eventually then the players will come back), but I feel I should try to make some of you guys feel better about the lack of balancing in 2.2 (and to some extent, 2.1).

Firstly, 2.2 wasnt a balancing patch. This is due to the way every class affects the rest. We needed to fix the HW before balancing anyone else.

While I don't have time to go into the very complex nature of all the different balancing decisions, I can tell you this:

We know the SG / the engineer class needs fixing (we tried some things in an effort to reduce the constant death-whilst-rebuilding frustrations which unfortunately led to other problems)
We know soldier is overpowered (as circ says, he was buffed due to the scout problem, once that is fixed we can bring him back in line)
We know demoman blue spam is annoying (we're implementing damage bonuses for direct hits shortly, amongst other ideas)
We know you can't juke demo traps any more due to the blast radius (this was down to the scout-capping-flag-because-you-missed-det-by-0.1-seconds problem)
We know the jump pad screwed up AvD more than anything else
We know the sniper is annoying to play against on CTF maps
We know there is a divide between organised and public play

And most of all:

We know that the future of this mod depends on obtaining a gameplay experience which skilled players and new players can play together and both have fun, trying to complete the objective, in maps that scale from 2v2 to 10v10 seamlessly, allowing complex movement skills and deathmatch tactics, whilst providing a learning curve for players to learn movement skills by playing alongside (but not getting totally owned by) the more skilled players.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote