View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #47
o_smack

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
TFC hooked me because of Dustbowl.

I remember playing Doom DM on the original WON way back in the day, and playing Quake DM on office lans and such. In fact, I've been playing video games since before Space Invaders, and i always dreamed of more of a team game, like storming a castle with a team of players against another team.

in 1998-99 i wasnt gaming much, but a friend of mine bought HL and showed it to me in 2000, it was obviously a great game and I had just gotten a new comp and my first cable connection. He also described TFC to me and I tried it but the CTF gameplay just didnt do it for me that much and i wasn't totally motivated to play.

after i finished HL, in the fall of 2000 i tried TFC again, and my friend showed me a new map called Dustbowl, where one team only attacked and the other team only defended. Now THAT was team-based FPS play the way I'd always visualized it. in those days, DB wasnt the non-stop spam fest, people hadn't perfected those techniques yet.

But at the time, there was no other avenue for that different style of play, there was one map for it, and it was basically ignored by all the leagues. so over the next two years, along with perhaps a couple of dozen other instrumental people who really liked this attack/defend style of play, i directed my efforts toward getting it recognized and played.

i became the leader of the premier a/d clan, 3v. I was in on the creation of the first two a/d leagues, including the Attack-Defend League which became the main (and now only) league for a/d play. i did two popular .avis which displayed attack/defend play to others.

now, a/d is a popular and recognized sub-genre of TF play. when UT2K4 came out with Assault mode or when FF announces a/d maps on their initial map list (thanks to Zouave, another tireless champion of this different style of play), i feel happy that my efforts were not in vain. a/d play is a TFC innovation and keeping it going is what will motivate me to be involved with FF and getting it played and popularized.
o_smack is offline   Reply With Quote