Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
GoPro footage of you wandering around a parking lot doesn't make me think, "Wow! This looks super cool!" I'd prefer to see some insight on the integration of the controls; specifically how the in-game movement correlates to your physical movement.
Was just filming with my phone, me playing with the Vive controllers thinking of how I would use them without the headset or a gopro, just with controllers. It's just design for those controllers. It's one way I might design anything, regardless of Vive, but for this it's about the Vive because that's what I'm currently working with. It's always other stuff too, like mouse+keyboard.

I also have a steam link+controllers. Also leap motion, but could we even add leap motion support to FF? I dunno, might not ever try that. But Steam Universe related stuff, sure, because FF is on Steam. Pushing it forward, it makes sense to support as much of Steam as possible. With it being open source and using the Source Engine, that's like more goodness on top if we do it right.

Right now we have some more active FF devs, so we'll see what happens. Not everyone is always active at the same time, and some have different focus than others, but in general it's just about doing whatever whenever however we can.

Personally, I'm most intrigued by a new hunted with updated everything (sniper and civilian at first, and fully designed from scratch with the original in mind... and "trepid" has been making hunted maps since old original TFC hunted days, so this is like true passion work for me, we even used to host a custom hunted maps TFC server separate from the regular custom maps server we ran that was like Axl's TFC) and added support for Steam Big Picture and VR modes. By attempting to make that, other things should happen too, like a source2013 version with Mac+Linux support added... plus VR railguns/engineers which also interests me a lot

I'm not doing anything I haven't always done, and nothing we do with this new stuff will effect the current/original game.

*edit*

I also wanted to add that this VR stuff isn't new to me, I've been making games for almost 2 decades, and specifically at one company I worked at in 2009 we were making our own VR experiences with all new tech still unreleased just lots of R&D, lots of prototypes, like when we were making VNV

So this isn't some new thing to me that I'm reacting to now like "HOLY SHIT YALL VEEARSE", in fact just go to the ffdev roll call thread from 2014 to see me rambling craziness saying all this more than 2 years ago...that's closer to the time when I tried some legit VR like oculus dk1 and dk2, realizing where FF would go in the future aka now

Last edited by trepid_jon; 12-30-2016 at 05:37 AM.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.