illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
I've seen it 8 GB of RAM for no reason whatsoever.
Can you say memory leak? I only have 4gb and Vista has never come close to running out of RAM on my system. It typically uses 1.5gb to 2gb but that's with 2 IE windows open (with probably 2-4 tabs in each), Steam, Vent, IRC, some MSI monitoring apps and Winamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
I just installed Vista x64 on my brand new comp and I like it so far. Only problem is finding software for x64 sometimes...

I mean, I COULD tweak the shit out of it and make it lighter on my system. I heard you can find alot of tweaks to optimize Vista, but I don't really feel the need with 8GB or RAM, Quad Core and Raid 0 honestly. Maybe later though... I dunno.
Depending on your hardware x64 drivers can be a bit more difficult to find. I have all new stuff (MSI K9N2 Diamond board, razer barracuda audio, geforce 9800gx2) so drivers were never a problem for me. Even with 8gb, tweaking a few things on vista (like indexing and superfetch) will make it run even faster - I'd suggest it. Let me know how you like it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
but why can't we get the option of having a lightweight GUI like windows 2000?
You can and it does use less ram. It's not JUST the GUI that uses ram though, there is a LOT more going on under the hood than W2K had.