Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Looks like you are building a good computer,

If you have any spare money when buying these components, I would recommend buying a Solid State Drive, just 64gb would do really, if you are unaware of what one is, it is a hard drive with no moving parts (like a memory stick), normal hard drives have spinning heads and all sorts, hence why they make such a noise when doing things, and can wear out over time.

An SSD having no moving parts, makes it considerably faster and reliable, the reason to get one is to install the Operating System on it, the OS running on an SSD can do things much faster, if a normal start up takes 15 seconds, the SSD can probably do it in 7 seconds. Files are easier to find and everything, it is just a huge performance increase.

And, with the extra room, you can put other core programs on it that you use most, and they will run smooth and fast, more than a normal HDD.

And, as an added bonus, if you like to download Torrents, like me, on a normal HDD fragments of the torrents are thrown all over the hard drive, the heads spin crazy downloading, and over time, the heads start clashing, the hard drive loses performance and starts to slowly break. And it gets badly fragmented.

I don't have an SSD yet, and I have been downloading torrents for years on my current 500gb hard drive, and when I did a health check on it, the program pretty much laughed in my face and told me the hard drive is almost dead...

So it is an ideal solution to download torrents directly onto the SSD, then have the files channelled across to your normal HDD, to avoid wearing out your hard drive.

A solid state drive will be my next purchase, I want a 128gb or so, so I can fit my OS, and my entire Steam folder on it, which is nearing 50gb alone, and also have space to download torrents onto it and maybe throw some other programs I use a lot, Firefox, Photoshop and whatnot.
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote