View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Actually, when many gamers wait considerable amounts of time for a game to be released, they expect it to be worth the wait. As Yahtzee put it, if DNF doesn't cure at least three types of cancer, it won't be worth shit. In fact, if it doesn't do that while breaking 30 bricks of reinforced concrete with an Inside/Outside Crescent Kick, I'm going to say that it should be much better for the time it took to be developed.

Most people expect that something that takes time to be done is going to be better, more refined, to justify the extra time. TF2 has not in any way justified the time spent on it, IMO. Due to this, Valve changed it considerably, and made it much more marketable to the masses who had never heard of Team Fortress in the first place. They had no expectations due to development time, as they didn't even know about it in the first place.

Time is a factor in quality. There should be a positive correlation between the two to justify the former. The time behind DNF is causing people to expect it to be a very well made game with some groundbreaking shit, a la HL2. We waited how many years, and a good amount of delays for HL2, and to me, it was well worth it for the physics and gameplay.

I daresay your bold usertitle has gotten to your head.

EDIT:

Etzell isn't recommending the game due to the development time. Stupidity is common among idiots. Implication of Etzell being an idiot is there. You called him an idiot.

rofl... give me a break. I would have said the exact same thing, usertitle or not. That's just a cheap shot on your part my friend. I've been debating ideas in exactly the same way since I joined this forum a long time ago.

Anyways, back on topic, ... you know what, I'll just post the conversation that happened by PM instead, I doubt Etzell would have any objection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
Why isn't the time a legit criteria? When movies come out that have been delayed repeatedly, it's more often than not a sign that the final product isn't good. When a band keeps pushing a CD back, the resultant CD normally isn't great. It's a trend, no more, no less. Sometime a game's delay is a good thing (HL1, HL2), but sometimes a lengthy devlopment process ends in letdown (Daikatana, Syphon Filter 4).

I understand you're saying that you don't think development time should be a factor, but I'm saying that it's often indicative of the product.
I also say that it's going to be impossible to NOT look at the 12 years it took this game to come out, if in fact it does come out this time. Why? Because it's going to be compared to the other Duke Nukem games first. The ones that came out more than 12 years ago. That's where your quality comparisons are going to come from, and that's where I don't think the new one will measure up.

And, I apologize for misreading your post. I was replying, and didn't take the time to re-read the "famous" post.

-Had it posted, decided to just PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4x
Hey don't worry about.

On topic, believe me, I understand exactly what you're saying. Thing is, I try my best not to have preconceptions in life because I feel it gives me better chances to see things as they truely are.

You're asking why time isn't a legit criteria and you then answer yourself. Words like "more often than not", "normally", "trend", "sometimes" are all part of the answer. All these words mean it could go one way or the other, therefor a "lenghty development time" isn't a legit criteria since it doesn't bring any certitude.

By the way, I'm having huge expectations for this game and if it doesn't meet my expectations, I will definately be disapointed but that won't stop me from enjoying the game for what it's worth which has nothing to do with the development time. I won't throw it in a big pile of shit because it's short of awesome. I'll treat it just like every other game. Letting my emotions interfer with my judgment would be fooling myself.

What I mean is, if the game turns out great but not "12-years-of-development" (whatever that means to you (which can vary quite a bit from one person to the other by the way)) awesome and you won't play it because it's not "12-years-of-development awesome", you'll only be fooling yourself, and that is what I got from your previous forum posts.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote