Old 04-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Thanks for the ideas, PHISH. My thoughts:

1) I agree with the intention but not the implementation (sure it would be a fairer reward than atm, but I think we can do better, plus as an aside unfortunately I think any reward just for a flag touch [other than initial] is open to abuse). My suggestion attempts to reward players for their actual contribution to the capture (it rewards players by the distance they move the flag towards the capture point, scaled by the remaining capture progress required when they picked up the flag): max(0, 20*(distance_moved/distance_initial)*(distance_pickup/distance_initial)) - might look complicated but I think it would work well.

Edit: P.S. the "20" scalar is just a guess and if needed we could further reduce the reward (i.e. from the suggested linearly decreasing reward) for later parts (relative to earlier parts) of the capture process by sticking a power on the last term (e.g. (distance_pickup/distance_initial)^2).

2) I'm not convinced by the first part (why should it be better for defense to let the offense get close to the flag?); the second part I agree with and is already in my suggestion.

3) Again, I agree with the intention but not the implementation. My suggestion essentially attempts to contain a suitable "homerun bonus" within the flag moved points (along with initial touch and capture).

12) Good idea - I've just added this to my suggestion (note: although the objective of the offense is always to get the flag, sacrificing yourself to get a touch without much chance of a flag move [within say 10 secs of flag return] is a very worthy cause to encourage).

13) I disagree (as the objective of the defense is to stop the offense and if they have managed to get a return then they should already have been suitably rewarded by both the FP leading up to that moment plus the fact that the returned flag will now be easier to defend).

14) I disagree (I don't think there should be any additional FP at all for a relay relative to a non-relay - the fact that you took the opportunity to get the flag at a time when the defense is compromised is your incentive/reward).

Regarding granularity: if need be for clarity I don't see any problem with having FP displayed at a lower fidelity (e.g. rounded down to an integer or whatever on the scoreboard) than it's actually calculated at internally or displayed on the HUD (e.g. floating point).

Last edited by caesium; 04-02-2015 at 09:44 AM.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote