View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I don't understand people's obsession with buying shitloads of memory. This is especially confusing when only a fraction of the memory they install will be used. Have they not heard of quality over quantity? Have they not heard of diminishing returns? I have 2 gigs of good quality ram, and it has yet to be used in its entirety from any program or game. Unless you plan on animating for Pixar or cutting scenes for a Hollywood-style movie, it's wasted money that could be better channeled to obtaining a better video card which will actually provide you with an actual noticeable difference.

Likewise, what's with this obsession with quad-core processors? Not many of the video games or applications out there right now are utilizing more than two cores. So, essentially, you would have wasted your money, which could have instead been channeled into a product that would have given you an actual noticeable difference among all general programs instead of the occasional application or game that has support for your future-proof processor. I understand future-proofing your rig, but I don't think waiting around for everyone to implement support for a relatively redundant technology is time well spent. Again, if you're working for Pixar or George Lucas, then sure, but otherwise buy an i5 not an i7.

Last, don't buy an ATI video card with an Intel processor. Intel and Nvidia are the bread and butter. Putting an ATI video card in a rig running an Intel processor is like injecting a healthy individual with cancer. If you want ATI, then you might as well fail through and through and one-hundred percentage by building an AMD rig. You must achieve consistency here, man.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote