Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Actually, Jon, he's got a valid point here. VR isn't for everyone. While I've no experience with it, I can easily see it being a really bad idea for someone who gets motion sickness. My wife(though not an FPS gamer) suffers from it. Fortunately, I don't.

I think VR is a step towards something even better, though. Something akin to the "Holodeck" from Star Trek. THAT will be where the really awesome shit is, but unfortunately, that would leave behind people like me(the physically disabled).
I don't think it'll leave anyone behind. In fact, I think things like the Vive that essentially add more I/O, more precision, make it possible to leave the limitations of 2D monitors with mouse+keyboard... I think it'll enable a lot of people with or without disabilities to play in different ways.

Not just Vive but things like the leap motion and touch screens/pads.

All of the advancements we've had since 2004, how could they enhance something like Fortress Forever? I think it's too many ways to even think about currently.

As an example though with the Vive specifically, you're not required to play things standing up walking around, and the quality devs keep this in mind allowing you to essentially play with enhanced input, the helmets are optional, the controllers are optional... subnautica for instance, it doesn't even have motion tracked controller support yet so with the Vive you play with a helmet or classic monitor and a controller or mouse+keyboard.

Like FF's own nugzilla, his back has made his mobility is limited and sitting at a computer desk forced to look here and be positioned like this...that goes away with the vive, as in someone could comfortably play a proper VR game from a hospital bed, that kind of thing. The vive and other good vr is simply enhanced optional I/O if done right, each piece being part of a modular system, just as PC gaming already is with people already playing in infinite ways.

What I envision for FF vive/vr support is just that, support. Beyond simply supporting these new devices, then we could design this with them in mind.

Playing as an engineer with the vive seems perfect. Sniping seems perfect.

Getting the movement for stuff like conc and strafe jumping...that'll be an interesting challenge and one worth getting right.

If we pull this off we'll have a game nobody else has, and it'll be free open source haha, it's exciting.

The things brought up are good, and really despite my seemingly rude attitude regarding it because in the end I truly belive it's not a debate and my history with FF dev has taught me not to get caught up in back and forth stuff especially regarding future tech and whatnot... thinking of all these things and planning for them, tackling them the right way... it'll only be good for FF if we pull it off.

Standing around protecting a sentry, railgunning folks, repairing....I'm telling you engineer seems like it was made for vive already haha

Designing and developing vive for FF weapons and gameplay seems like it'll be tons of fun, as a gamemaker it will be like a dream, and not just with FF although I think something like FF provides a lot of great opportunity, but not just for vive nor just future FF, other nextgen games and all tech in general. A properly made and maintained FF would mean as many platforms and as much I/O as possible, play any way you want.

I'm excited for the future of gaming and what we get to do...yall, it's gonna be so much fun, and most people don't even know what's coming haha

Last edited by trepid_jon; 12-28-2016 at 05:09 AM.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.