View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
You have to play LoL a lot to average out who you get teamed up with. They use a derivitive of the Elo system from chess, your Elo goes up if you win a game, it will go up more if you win a game that you were expected to loose, and your rating doesn't take as big of a hit if you loose a game you're expected to loose.

At first I called bullshit on that system, because it just seemed it didn't matter, you'd get the shittiest teammates ever, and then sometimes you'd just steam roll your oponents.

But I don't notice it as much now because my history is like, Win 2 games, Loose 2 games, Win 2 Loose 2. Sometimes I have 10 game winning streaks, and others I have 10 game loosing streaks.

They say the system is designed to give you a 50% chance of winning your games. On a game by game basis, I don't believe that, but over a large number of games (like 100) it almost seems true.

I say almost because, if you're good at the game, your win Loss ratio does go up, if you're crappy, it goes down. Also picking champs you're good at, or don't know really impact it too. I don't know what I'm currently at, but I was +90 Win/Loss at one point.

Also it's not nescessarily bad team mates that loose games once you average out your Elo. The people you're playing with can be really good players, just not with you or your teammates. There's been many games where I've been called a shit player, a noob...etc. But I know i'm not a noob and I'm pretty decent. The chemistry of your team just doesn't work for you, you just don't click.

And early game deaths mean squat, so long as you work well together as a team. There's been many times (tons actually), I used to think the same thing. Holy fuck, my teammates have died 10 times already within the first 10 minutes, and we have no kills "This game is over". Then once the laning phase is over and we start doing team fights, we just destroy the enemy team. I'm talking like within the first 20 minutes the score is 25 kills to 5 for the enemy team. Then in the next 15 minutes, the score is like 30 kills to 25 (still in the enemy team's favor), but we've destroyed their Nexus and won.

That's what I love about this game, it's rarely some lone super star being the deciding factor (unlike in FF), and it's all about how well you work together as a team.

And as for unbalanced champs being released. Yes Riot has made a few mistakes, at first they released them overpowered, peopled would bitch for a week, then they started releasing them underpowered and nobody would play them. But they're generally pretty quick in fixing the issue, if it's blatantly over powered, they've been known to Hot Fix within a few hours. Other times they just wait it out a week. But they're always constantly tweaking their champs, and their last few champions release (Vlad, Miss Fortune, Sona for example), have been pretty well rounded on the first release.

The thing that sets people off on thinking they're OP is that if there's a different game play mechanic to that champ, people don't know how to deal with it, and cry OP'd right away. I sorta felt that way about Vlad, but now that I know how to counter him, he's not a problem.

But ya, there are definately things they can fix, or improve on, or impliment, but I would hardly call them a POS company because they haven't gotten to those concerns yet, I would call them a POS company if they just released their game, and did nothing about the problems. But there's a patch almost every week, which makes me a happy consumer of their product, because I know they're actively working on their game to improve it, which is why I personally like them as a Company.

The downtime does suck, but I remember when Everquest first came out, their downtimes could last 2 weeks, AND I was paying a monthly fee for that game, AND they gave no reimbursements. LoL always reimburses the XP and IP boosts, and the downtime has never lasted for more than 2 days (and never 2 days straight, so I've always been able to get a game in every day I want to play no matter what).
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote