Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #19
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
ian, no, having no prefix at all is much more useful than ff_ tbh. You're not going to go to a site like Game banana and search for a single map name. That'd give too many results. What happens when you have another game that uses the ff_ prefix that stands for something other than fortress forever? You could just as easily instead go to the specific game you are looking for maps for, then the game type and then do the search. You would likely find more maps this way on top of just the one you were looking for, too. Improve your searching skills tbh. When things are categorized properly, there isn't an issue. And once the new FF site is built and all maps will be available here, this will cease to be an issue altogether. I should rename all my maps on my server to use a better naming format. We all know we're playing FF, so once you have the map installed, there really is no longer a need for the prefix. destroy, ksour, openfire look better than ff_destroy, ff_openfire etc. Even having ctf_ or avd_ prefixes would be more useful than ff_ for those who join a server to download a map directly will be able to see what game type it is.

The only problem is if I rename them all, everyone would have to download all the maps again, taking up precious time and hard drive space. Maybe I'll do like 5 a week to make it more of a transitional period. But, I doubt other servers would follow suit so it's pointless. Another option would be to just make a huge map pack for people to download without the prefixes, but still it'd be pointless.
i think at some point its worth doing even if people don't like updating the maps. after all no one likes updating anything but everyone likes the end result (progress). wouldn't necessarily help in game but else where on websites help alot. glance at title know exactly what it is.

also no it wouldn't take it up if they deleted all there old maps. (or the update did it for them but some people might be really pissed about that.)
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 06-10-2013 at 06:17 AM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote