View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #90
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
They're called achievements. I see them as challenges that you have to work up to. If an achievement says "Kill a Scout going over 1,000 movement speed." and I manage to pull that off, then I feel as if I have achieved something. The achievement comes in the form of pulling off something, not pulling off something and then having to perform it a thousand times.

I see achievements as learning tools. Once you learn how to do something, you get an achievement to verify your success. Once you're able to do something, what incentive is there to do it a thousand times more? What's the point of doing something a thousand times when you only need to do it once to verify you were skilled enough or capable?

You're suggesting achievements that are simple though monotonous and tedious as protection against people completing achievements too fast. The speed at which someone does achievements is irrelevant. If the achievements are good quality achievements, and someone manages to get through them in an hour, then that player must have learned a lot and got a lot out of them or already had the skill required.

I'd rather blaze through an hour of good quality achievements than waste a week of my time doing shitty achievements. Why is it necessary that achievements take forever? The speed at which someone goes through achievements should be based on how skilled that individual is, not on how poorly designed or repetitive the achievement is. If the user is capable of doing them in an hour, then let him. If the user is not capable, then he will learn something. Filler (what you're suggesting) is unnecessary if you take the first step and actually produce good quality achievements.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote