Thread: sv_pure servers
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
My understanding is that the whitelist file simply sets up a hierarchy of folders along with some permissions like whether or not to CRC check them between client and server.

Quote:
materials\... allow_from_disk
materials\effects\... allow_from_disk+check_crc
models\... allow_from_disk
models\player\... allow_from_disk+check_crc
models\grenades\... allow_from_disk+check_crc
models\projectiles\... allow_from_disk+check_crc
models\flag\... allow_from_disk+check_crc
shaders\... allow_from_disk+check_crc
sound\... allow_from_disk
sound\sound\player\footsteps\... allow_from_disk+check_crc
sound\buildable\sentry\sg_scan1 allow_from_disk+check_crc
sound\buildable\sentry\sg_scan2 allow_from_disk+check_crc
It's fairly easy to see what should be happening. None of the lines that have +check_crc should differ on the server and client normally, so I'm not sure why it would be booting everyone. The last 2 may need the .wav extension, but you said it was booting people with the old whitelist too, which didn't have those last 2 lines, and instead had crc checks enabled for all the content folders recursively.

I'm also a bit concerned that you aren't seeing increased load times when the server is first booted. The load times should extend significantly, as it has several hundred megs of files to CRC. That makes me think it's not being done. You're not using sv_pure 2 are you?

From that wiki link above, under Performance

Quote:
1. When the server loads its first map with sv_pure set to 1, it has to precalculate file CRCs for all files marked as allow_from_disk+check_crc. Generally, this set of files should be set to the minimal set of files. If, for example, the pure_server_whitelist.txt file had a line like this:

materials\... allow_from_disk+check_crc

The server would pause for a very long time the first time it loaded a map because it would calculate CRCs for every single material file in the game.

Setting sv_pure to 2 will not affect server performance because the server does not need to calculate CRCs.
This load time increase did in fact happen when I did a test on a listen server, and it was very significant increase. sv_pure 1 from the main menu, then loaded a map.

Last edited by DrEvil; 09-16-2007 at 07:24 PM.
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote