View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #45
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
The number of servers with players is irrelevant, Even if that was the only server, quitting is better than breaking the rules.
I'm not going out of my way to break the rules. They were not made clear and I never knew defending myself (myself personally, not the team/flag) after being attacked was part of the rules. That's the point I'm making, I wandered in there BECAUSE there are so few servers, as newbies are likely to as well. What's the problem with making it passworded, even as somebody said, putting the password in the name, just to cause the person to stop and realize what they're doing as opposed to coming in.

Quote:
Now, I'd never have such a rule on my servers but admins have every right to run their servers however they want, so that's the end of that.
Of course they do, but with so few options, why drive off newcomers to the mod by having arbitrary rules and a hostile environment for rookies on an easy to join server? I'm not saying they shouldn't have the rules on their server, I'm saying they should have a method of keeping out casual players so the mod doesn't suffer as a whole. Granted, they have every "right" not to do that, but it's kind of a selfish attitude in light of FF's situation right now.

Quote:
Players have every right to choose not to join a server or to quit one they don't like but no player, imo, has the right to ignore rules just because they don't like them.
Fine, then why not keep players out who don't know the rules and are likely to break them without even meaning to?

Quote:
Thirdly, why moan so much? It really seems bizarre to me, like I have already said, it is up to the server admins what rules they want to enforce, personally, I would only ever join a server like this, as I do not enjoy playing FF half as much on random server without clanstyle rules, this is just my preferance.
The answer's simple, I don't want the mod to die and I think rules and kicks like this discourage newcomers.

For the Nth time, I'm not saying private servers should not have these rules. I'm saying for newcomers, it can cause a very negative experience and admins should consider passwording their servers for 2 reasons:

1. Far less people will break the rules if they have to make a more deliberate effort to join the server (and thus learn them)

2. Newcomers won't be turned off by the game

The mod doesn't even have a MANUAL yet, newcomers are BOUND to break the rules by accident because they won't fully understand the game itself yet, let alone clan rules. While it seems natural to TFC vets, FF definitely has a real learning curve to it.

Quote:
I dont go onto 2fort 24/7 servers and whine about them only playing 2fort, it is their choice if they want to do that, they obviously enjoy it more, so I just join other servers.
Great analogy. So say hypothetically every server turned into a pub 2fort one. You'd stop playing the mod right?

Quote:
Again, logic and reason. It's really that simple.
Except going by logic, your assumed truths are incorrect. I'm not arguing that this server should not exist nor should it have the rules, I'm saying it should be passworded if you want to prevent the community from dying.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote