Thread: (Released) Game Rules
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Actually no I'm not suggestion people will learn from their mistakes, I actually don't have enough faith in the average new player to go on some scout DM runs, realize it's not working out, and then objectively think about what the scouts role might actually be.

Although they would likely get frustrated enough to try something else . My point in that anecdote was actually how even when confronted with advice and direction a lot of people just don't give enough of a shit. It's not that maybe they'll learn, some of them already know. It's just if they want to do that kind of stupid shit, might as well let them and work around them, ignore them entirely.

This whole D scout, O hw thing is blown waaaaay out of proportion, some of our players take offense to it as if you had physically harmed their family. When the truth is it's rarely, if ever, a big deal. It's not necessarily disruptive, and we can almost always run a competent game while the one or two people explore their own little world.

I do want new players to learn, but I don't think restriction is the way to do it. Mainly because it doesn't even address the real problem, only parts of it. While disabling D scout does send the message that scout is an offense class, it still doesn't paint the picture that the scout has no DM capabilities and needs to be able to occasionally conc and bhop somewhat decently to be effective. And if you think players can readily infer that information from restricted game modes then they'd probly be able to pick up that concept in general and we wouldn't have this problem.

I just feel like it'd be potentially confusing and frustrating. I feel as though new players would have a better time being bad at the game doing what they want, rather than being bad at the game being forced into something.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 12-27-2014 at 01:54 AM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.