Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirvin_monkey View Post
It sounds - if you're happy to stick with the source engine, and happy to be opensource - that evolving FF to this point would save you the most effort.

I've always thought that the best idea we had with FF was using Lua scripting to build the map / game logic. With enough hooks into the engine you can pretty much build any game type and players can switch between them just by loading a new map.

Perhaps then you should consider the next step to be to split that off to be the core platform?

The rest of FF - the player movement physics, the models, the weapon and projectile logic, buildables, etc, becomes the "Fortress Forever" workshop mod that runs on your platform. Maps could be separate workshop items and each one contains the game logic (CTF, hunted, etc.)

Then one day somebody wants to make TFC:S. They build/port the models, write the TFC version of the player movement/weapon/projectiles/buildables and release the TFC:S workshop mod. Now players have the entire library of FF maps on which to play authentic TFC. Then somebody else ports QWTF. Then somebody builds something new and unexpected...
Absolutely what you just said. You got the right idea. Hearing you talk about it gets me excited man, haha. And of course, if you wanna help again then by all means let's just do it. Plenty of old devs and new devs are willing to get started, we just haven't officially started yet. Think of this like the new version of the old catacombs discussions and whatnot. When the decision was made to make FF, what happened? Organized, formed a team and a plan, executed.

The main difference I think we should do now is not wait 3 years to release version 1, we can release day 1 and every day after. Evolve it like gmod back in the day, how I honestly think we should have done from the beginning...we should have made ff_2fort first and launched immediately. Or as we found out recently, maybe the best idea is to start with one class, release that mode with like just soldiers...or just spies...or my choice: snipers and civilians first, start with a hunted mode where there are no bodyguards and there could be more civilians, so we'd also immediately have fun civ sniping maps. But also, the sniper and civilian revamp is like my main passion. But either way, we could just start with what we have now in terms of the classes...pretty much there.

Workshop integration will be FF's true game changer and open it up to whoever wants to make "sequels" not just an offical dev team.

And as for current Source or future Source, 24's JackBauer, I'd say we should plan for future Source just like we planned for original Source in 2004. We know something is coming, and in fact thanks to being on Steam maybe we can gain access to a better version of Source nowish.

Technically, there already is a better version of Source, the 2013 version. However, I'd like to talk to Valve about getting a license to the full Source engine at the very least so we could make it on CSGO/Portal2/L4D2. We could go nuts with FF in the latest and greatest iteration of source1.

We could wait for Source 2, but we don't know anything about it right now other than assuming it'll be awesome haha

Last edited by trepid_jon; 12-01-2016 at 05:50 AM.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote