View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #20
Born_In_Xixax

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I believe two main differences between current FF sentries and TFC sentries are 'acquisition' ability and damage rate.

The TFC sentry was less aware - not sure whether it rotated slower (think so) or detected enemies less quickly/accurately - but the FF sentry seems to pick targets and start shooting much more quickly.

However, the TFC sentry was much more disruptive. Once it acquired you, you were pushed/pinned/incapacitated/dead in extremely short order. It seems to take longer for even light classes to die from a FF sentry.

So that was the tradeoff - if a TFC sentry was up the area was pretty much denied (much more so than FF). But if you were fast enough or lucky enough to keep the gun from acquiring you, you could get something done. The best plan was to try and kill the gun, then run the flag.

Regarding hit points, it feels like FF sentries have slightly better durability, but not by much. As far as splash damage, I haven't noticed much difference from TFC - in either FF or TFC if you push right up against the gun you will receive rocket splash, but if you hang back a bit, all splash is blocked. I think 'clang clang' is a valid tactic, trading mobility for durability.

It might be interesting to see the following metrics documented for TFC, FF 1, 2.1:

- Rate of damage - bullets
- Rate of damage - rockets
- Average acquisition time (line of sight presentation to first hit)
- Rotation rate
- Hit points
- Range
- Build time

All in all I don't feel the FF sentry is completely out of whack, but a few gripes and proposed tweaks:

- Lock on is slightly too quick - decrease rotation rate
- Sentries are sometimes ineffective and too easy to destroy - increase damage rate and push to keep enemies who are directly engaging the gun from having plenty of time to kill it or walk out with the flag.
- Sentries sometimes go up too quickly - slightly increase build time, carefully ration available metal (map maker's responsibility). Remove rail gun metal creation.

In general I would like to see the sentry be more effective while up, but more difficult to get up - making success of the enemy team more dependent on getting the gun down and keeping it down. in TFC the HW/engy were the immoveable objects that the offense had to solve in order to succeed. IMHO the sentry is a bit anemic in FF - especially when facing the frenetically increased speed of all the offensive classes. (The HW is very anemic in FF, but that's a different thread...)

PS - I wasn't really aware of the 'pre-fire' feature - perhaps this partially explains the perception that the gun is too weak: when it looks like it's firing (and hitting, with blood) continuously on a target that it's actually not hitting at all..?
Born_In_Xixax is offline   Reply With Quote