Server Owner
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Rocket Jumping
Affiliations: -g1 ]qS[ -eC- :e0: [ESAD]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
If it's not an interesting experience getting to the flag, it's not going to be especially fun for new players.
You shouldn't need something like security to make an interesting experience. In fact I would say most newer players hate needing to press security since they will most likely die and the security will just reset making their task of getting the flag nearly impossible.

Quote:
If you want CTF to have more public appeal, I would host maps where you get to the action as fast as possible, not the ones that may have the best nuanced CTF games.
I agree with this 100% which was my reasoning for shorter battlements and fewer routes.

Quote:
2fort - not bad, especially with the visual improvements, you get to the yard very fast and a lot of fighting on the bridge can be fun.
Agreed.

Quote:
aardvark - Good looking yard, but too big for a lot of fighting there. Can be fun if you're sniping or know how to get across the yard quickly. Side route can have some good espionage possibilities.
Battlements are way too big and it sucks needing to press security. The map is just a chore to play on offence.

Quote:
Badlands - visually awesome once you get outside. Corridors are a damn maze. Relatively fun if you can get outside your base to some fighting.
I'm sure the map isn't THAT hard to learn...

Quote:
casbah - visually more interesting, though it usually feels like a hike before you get to any action.
I feel if the trip out of the spawn wasn't so long this map would be 200% better. You usually engage combat on the way out of your base.

Quote:
congestus - very easy to get to the yard or other base and get to action fast, generally enjoy this one
Not a good public server map. You pretty much need to be a master of concing on offense and it's a chore to go to the enemy base without concs.

Quote:
crossover - hate everything about it, I always quit when this comes up. Concrete corridor city, changed from the desert theme in TFC to the cold snowy theme which I don't think works as well, bridge where all the fighting used to be seems to be missing from the FF version, somewhat confusing route, not much action.
Did you like the TFC version? I agree and also hate the FF version.

Quote:
destroy - pretty good, visually kind of drab, but very small map means you get to fighting quickly
Another map that should stay in pickup server.

Quote:
dropdown - nice visuals on the yard, can get to fighting relatively quickly, but a total maze if you're actually going for the flag.
Yeah the routing on this map sucks.

Quote:
monkey - great visuals in the yard, fair amount of fighting, though not my favorite for some reason
I feel the same. I'm not sure what it is about the map that makes it boring for pub servers.

Quote:
openfire - nice lighting / yard, very easy to get to the action, generally good action and fun
The map needs retextured. Usually a pain for newer players to actually leave with the flag.

Quote:
shutdown2 - kind of a mix. Interiors are more concrete corridors, but yard looks nice and can have a decent amount of fighting
If this map would lose security I feel it would be awesome for a public server.

Quote:
well - not that fun unless you're sniping. Visually not very engaging. Contains lots of plain, concrete corridors with a concrete yard to boot. I never especially liked this one in TFC either.
It's not really my favorite map but I feel it is pretty good for a public server. I feel the map should be a bit lighter outside and some hallways needs widened in the FF version.

Quote:
xpress - my favorite CTF map for someone not that into CTF. CONSTANT action, fun watching enemies fall off the edge, fun as hell blasting over as a demoman and raising hell.
This map is fun for a while but gets boring fast since it's design is so simple. This is also like congestus where you are at a huge disadvantage if you can't conc well.

Last edited by hlstriker; 07-02-2011 at 11:18 PM.
hlstriker is offline   Reply With Quote