View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 AM   #17
Fruitcake

Gametype: AvD/IvD
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Well, it's been over a month since jump gun was introduced and we've had plenty of time to test it out in pickups. There are definitely some cool routes/jukes opened up by jumpgun.

However I'm afraid jumpgun has opened up way too many cans of worms to be worth it.

It increases the difficulty of airshots; airstrafing and concs already make airshots hard, but jumpgun gives scouts instantaneous airjuking. Handhold conc+jumpgun indoors is insanely strong combined with decent jukes, to the point where I feel bad for demomen.

By making movement so easy it reduces the importance your other movement. Take for example ff_destroy battlements; prior to jumpgun you could strafe jump from capture points to battlement entrance or back. Trimping/double-jumping also becomes far less important when you can press a button to do it automatically.

Although it was billed as an answer to HWG's overpressure I find demos to be most affected by jumpgun. I have escaped so many pipetraps that I dead to rights should have died from because jumpgun pushed me above and out of range of pipes. It makes a huge difference in engagements with every defense class. So while the whole overpressure into jumpgun counter is kind of a neat dynamic, I think it messes with the balance of all classes way too much.

I'd rather scrap overpressure and jumpgun, as I feel the game would be more stable balance wise. Also with the upcoming rework of pyro, I feel the other classes being stable is important. I'm actually interested and looking forward to pyro changes, and don't have anything against making more classes viable, PROVIDING they fit within the preexisting framework of game play.
Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote