View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 05:01 AM   #3
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake View Post
Another reason to remove OP is because of the damage it does to spys.
Rofl.

Quote:
I know some people aren't a fan of spy and are happy he isn't in the meta
You are exactly right there, I think spy is a bullshit broken class, heavily leaning a crutch made up of gimmicks. Being able to walk up to and toss grenades at a sentry, one hit kills, etc. Regardless of how hard any of it is to pull off, it's still a bullshit gimick. It also completely flies in the face of what I actually play FF for, the fast paced acrobatic nature of it all.

Quote:
With the changes to bhop speed and cap, as well as jump pad automated runs, I don't think is necessary anymore.
This is kind of a good point. OP cool down used to be so low, I spent an entire pickup getting OP'd by trailer every run. I smashed my keyboard against my desk till the little legs broke off and it had to stay flat on my desk from then on. After that OP cool down nerf, cap rate picked up significantly, and defense seemed to constantly be a chaotic unmanageable mess. (rocket blast radius was also nerfed at the same time, but I don't tend to think that's as consequential)

But I see a few things wrong with your point. Currently the cap rate is pretty comfortable. But that's not just because of the O nerfs, OP is still playing a part in that. There are plenty of runs where an OP keeps me out of the flag room on a good conc that'd have me right on top of the gun.

Also I'm not entirely comfortable with all the O changes. The jpad nerf is bittersweet to me, I think it should be removed entirely. The silly and asinine uses found for it in the current meta kind of grind my gears. But I'm still pretty iffy about the bhop changes.

Another thing to consider is that either a few individuals are cheating at the class or it is very broken. There is some nonsensical factor that changes the AC from just doing damage to becoming a power house of stopping potential. Even if that just comes down to great aim (I'm not entirely convinced it is about aim, even some of the best aimers in the community can be pretty hit or miss with the stopping power) even if it is about aim we need to consider if that's how the class was meant to/should work. I don't believe it was "meant" to work that way.

Quote:
overpressure is fun
See above where I broke my keyboard. OP may be fun for the user, but it is more frustrating on the receiving end than any other stopping mechanic is.

Quote:
I think it should be implemented as a serverside option so it can be disabled for competition.
Interesting thought. I have pitched for a "sv_competitive" setting before. With such an svar we could do things like entirely remove jpads from pugs and comp matches. At the same time we could revert the jpad nerf for pubs, seeing as how jpads undeniably add to the ease of access and fun factor for new players in pubs. Games where people are playing heavier O classes (those happy, naive, fools). There are probly plenty of small variables that could go towards a better quality of life for both halves of the community.

3 members found this post helpful.