View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
It's honestly hard to touch upon what makes morrowind good. I suppose if you're looking for more of a casual experience that takes place in a fantasy land scape, Skyrim is the way to go. But if you're looking for a more robust rpg experience Morrowind is for you.

But it is hard to explain what exactly is so enticing about it. I'm sure some of it is nostalgia. But that's certainly not the entire appeal of it. It's more immersive for sure. All the points in that video were legit, but I don't think it really covers it all.

I suppose for me it's a lot of the little things. In morrowind as opposed to skyrim, you have acrobatics and athletics skills that level up when you run and jump, eventually allowing you to become a speed demon who can jump small buildings as ABM mentioned.

In morrowind you could attack with your weapons and spells in any state, underwater, falling through the air, jumping around. In oblivion you had to reach a certain level to be able to attack in the air. In skyrim you must be firmly planted on the ground at all times to attack.

In morrowind everyone had a dialogue box. You talk to people about "latest rumors" or for pieces of advice. And while not everyone had something important or game changing to say, you could learn SOMETHING from EVERYONE. In skyrim lots of npcs have no dialogue options at all, and the ones that do, say very little.

Like the video mentions, Morrowind doesn't hold your hand through quests at all, and they feel much more rewarding for it. You often find yourself with an open ended objective, that has numerous solutions (for better or worse), none of which are pointed out to you. But you (usually) have enough information to get to your objective and assess the situation.

It's just little things like that. Stuff like a pair of boots that will literally allow you to jump so high you'll die from the fall damage.