View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #103
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I want to see a mix as well, but I want them to be quality achievements. I don't give a fuck if someone grinds achievements, because they get nothing out of it. So what if someone grinds his achievements in an hour. What then? Does he suddenly become twice as powerful because of completing the achievements directly? No. Don't care.

That's the problem right there. You want to prevent people from grinding. Your suggestion for preventing people from grinding through the achievements is filler. Let's fill the gaps of every good challenging achievement with shitty low-quality achievements that have you doing something stupid a thousand times like jumping in place.

I said I wanted a mixture of easy and difficult achievements. I thought it would be nice to have a tier system and then implement a 'bragging rights' tier that wouldn't necessarily teach you anything new, but challenge what you already know. It's not repetitive achievements that necessarily annoy me, it's that no one can come up with quality ones. They're always stupid like: Jump 1,000 times. Fire your gun 10,000 times. Duck 500 times.

I have no problem with repetitive achievements (milestones, really) if:
  1. They serve a purpose. Jumping a thousand times eventually leads to having jumped a thousand times. WOOOW? Requesting a Medic heal his team mates x times enforces good behavior. The Medic will get feedback, he will know healing team mates is a benefit and has him playing a role, so he will learn something. What does jumping a thousand times teach you? Nothing besides you tapped the space bar a thousand times.
  2. Don't make them too repetitive. Infect 10 enemies. Heal 20 team-mates. Airshot 5 Scouts. Repair the armor of 10 team mates. I don't want to do something a thousand or ten thousand times. By the time I get a mere fraction of the way through, I have already mastered it or understand the intention.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote