View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
[Windows]
For me it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm gaming then either XP or Vista. I run everything I care about on Vista for gaming so the XP side has seen only a small amount of activity. Unfortunately a feature in Roxio 6 that I REALLY like will not run in Vista...actually all of Roxio 6 won't run there...but that's another story. That feature never appeared in any later version of Roxio.

If the Windows 7 beta lasted longer I might mess with it but we're still a year or more away from it releasing and AFAIK MS still has not identified a date certain on which it will Windows 7 will RTM. I probably won't see Windows 7 for another 2 years in my development lab so I suspect my first contact will be at home.

So, for now, Vista is my "go to" on the windows side.

[Linux]
Centos...hands down. I started with RH5 (not to be confused with RHEL5). I've worked with Fedora Core (1-5), Debian, Mandrake, Slack and SuSE. All of my development work is done on Centos and FC. Why do I like Centos? It's easy to work with, it's secure, it's stable and anything it receives has already passed through Red Hat's forges. I work with well established hardware so "cutting edge" drivers are never an issue. What's not to like?

Everything I do on the Linux side is server-oriented so there's a very clear demarcation for me between Linux and Windows with no overlap.

From the perspective of accessibility, flexibility in configuration and recovery from errors and problems...Linux takes it hands down.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote