View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #25
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Here's how I see it:

Boosts have a long history back to TFC and I kind of feel like teamwork like that should be rewarded. Jump pads and pyro jumps are fun, period. Redesigning the maps is a pain in the ass, plus who knows what new future insane-o changes we'll have. However all this stuff adds up to a very crippled defense compared to FF 1.0 or TFC and leads to often very fast rounds in AvD and I/D, something I personally don't like.

I think the best solution is since the devs weren't shy about giving offense powerful movement abilities, defense should be given some powerful measures to counteract them. Here are some suggestions I have:

-Add a buildable "slowing field" where if enemy players pass through it, they move twice as slow.
-Add some sort of barrier engineers can build that can be destroyed (though it would take effort). Something like board or sandbags, etc.
-Make the rockets on sg's a little faster and have them becoming homing rockets on enemies that are airborne (but not ones on the ground).
-Bring back caltrops, but give them to a defensive class, so they can be used for area control.

I'm not saying it would need all these and maybe there are some better options, but I think some of these (particularly slow motion and homing rockets) would go a long way to balancing this. Remember that for AvD things ARE skewed. Offense has had an advantage for so long it's probably considered normal to many people, but go back and play AvD in TFC and you'll see how much more bite defense used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron
Also, it's safe to say that the 'brokeness' of these types of 'exploits', are due to poor map design, lack of foresight on the mappers end, etc. I don't think when maps like palermo was made, 'exploits' were kept in mind. You have to remember that almost all AvD maps currently out are based on TFC maps.
I don't think it's fair to have expected the mappers to account for this, unless there were plans to roll out pyro jumps and jump pads when FF was in beta. When you have maps that were more or less functional in 1.0, then the game has radical changes, the maps stayed about the same, calling it bad map design is kind of ironic.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote