Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Odd Problem: grate turns black

I have been toolin' around with Hammer creatin' stuff. I wanted to try and create a half-circle grate that looks fairly realistic - that is, it has a metal support all around and two brushes on top and bottom that make up the grate. (This way, if you are on top of the grate, you can see the bottom of it, and vice versa.)

Herein is my problem:

Quote:

Here is my simple box that I use for creatin' stuff and fooling around. I built the grate, a wall, a latter, and a couple embellishments.
Quote:

Here is what the grate looks like on the underside. As you can see, the grate is made of two brushes (as I explained above) so you can see the top and bottom of the grate when you are looking through it.
Quote:

Aim here...
Quote:

...shoot...
Quote:

And a big fat chunk of the grate turns black.
This happens with BOTH sides of the grate. The grate part has NOT had its vertices manipulated, but the metal support structure has. Nodraw covers the sides of the grate pieces; the grate texture is only on the top and bottom so it does not look sloppy.

I have tried created the grate portion from scratch and retexturing it, but the problem persists.

Also note that this map has no lighting entities (so everything is fullbright), but I do not think that this is a lighting issue.

I do not believe that it is because the two brushes are placed as they are.

The following link contains this functional map, the .vmf, the .lua, and the five pictures you see above in a .zip file.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1191522

It is also nothing in the .lua as I was screwing around with this exact grate in 1.0 (before you needed a Lua to run a map) and the same problem existed.

The "black" effect disappears and reappears depending on what angle you are looking at it. It is triggered by pertty much any sort of damage, be it nails, hitscan, rockets, pipes, etc.

If you can help (or you just want to look around for the heck of it), go ahead and download the map. Anyone who has ANY idea why the Hell this happens... I would appreciate a solution, as I have asked a lot of mappers who do not have a whole lot of answers. ):

I like this particular brush design and I may want to use it (or something similar) on one of my future maps. I do not want to have to can the design for a reason I do not understand.

Thanks for your help in advance guys.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote