View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #59
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity
Well that's kind of how it was in TFC, but your free kills were only classes not using any tactics (that's not a good thing?). So if you sniped it, or went spy, or came at it from an angle it couldn't detect, etc. you could still bring them down easily.
That's kind of my issue with the TFC SG and it's something still present in league play FF. +attack on your gun with your wrench out is just as skill-less as not using any tactics, mainly because you aren't. It takes a large leap of skill to just >get past< an SG compared to the skill required to build and maintain it. All it takes is the knowledge of where to put your gun... something that is just trial and error if you don't know what you're doing.

The biggest issue with the FF SG, besides it being backwards to how it should be, is that the tracking speed and time it takes to attack the enemy are a nearly completely redundant feature. I don't need accurate pointing when the thing turns fairly fast, but the whole situation is tits up when there are various situations where an SG will not fire on an enemy despite being able to see him.

Part of the deal in TFC was that you had to aim your gun in the direction you wanted it to shoot and it had a hard time not shooting enemies that weren't close its LOS. Now, due to how long it takes for the SG to start shooting, aiming it is almost redundant. It's either going to shoot and hit the, or spend forever attempting to track and shoot at the enemy.

Of course, when you have people protecting your gun and disrupting enemy movement, it's going to make the gun able to do its job.

IMHO the best solution to this issue is to revert to TFC style turret turn speed while also reverting back to the instant track of the TFC SG. This way, aiming is an important part of it, it will start shooting enemies once it tracks them (or very very shortly after), and if an enemy gets past it from a good conc, it's game over.

Mainly I hate hate hate hate hate having to babysit someone elses gun in competitive play when I'm not even that damned class.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote