View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #112
o_repair man

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I guess I might as well add my story now that the thread is a few weeks old, lol.

Anyway, I got started with TFC and all of HL's online mods by playing on Mplayer.com. I started in HLDM and played TFC sparingly. When Opposing Force came out, I had a run with its multiplayer, as it was really really fun. It was around this time that I figured out how to use the HL server browser, which gave me a whole lot more options in terms of servers. This is when I started to play TFC exclusively. Just to give a time reference, this was just before the 1.5 patch.

I started out as your average pubber. I wasn't incredibly good, but I had a pretty decent grip on most of the skills involved in the game. One day when I was pubbing a guy started asking people in the server if anyone wanted to join his clan. I asked him if I could join and we exchanged ICQ numbers. Apparently the clan (clan Banshee) was made up of a bunch of Rainbow Six clanners who had a decent run and decided to make the change to TFC. We joined OGL, won our first match and thought we were hot shit. Then, in our second (maybe third) match in OGL against clan 2sM we were thoroughly dominated. By the time the second round started, I was the only person left on my team still in the server. Even before I got heavy into clanning I was a good sport. What my team did aggrivated me and I quit the next day, and didn't want anything to do with clanning.

After I quit, I got broadband shortly after. TFC took on an entirely new perspective. Everything seemed a lot easier to do. One day I was pubbing on a Warpath server and got into an arguement with some guy. He kept calling me a newbie for running away. We were the only two people in the server actually killing things, and at the start of the next map we ended up on the same team and started talking. He asked me to try out for his clan, clan "Fishy." I tried out, made it in, and played my first match in an organized clan a few days later. It was simply awesome. Unfortunately, due to unstable leadership (the leader was a fucking nut), the clan folded.

Me and the guy that recruited me were prety good e-friends, so we looked for a clan to join together. We eventually made it into [JS] (STA silver at the time) and had a good run. After a few months, the clan started to lose its appeal, and we quit sometime over the Summer of 2001. About a month later, me and my friend joined mH (Misdirected Hostility) about a week and a half before they played their first 9vs9 match. The clan was made up of no names from STA silver level. We all clicked immediately, and we went on a great run in our first few months together, knocking off great old-school clans like DO, cDD, SD, |{, DIE, RiCE, 404, and TDA. In our first TFL season, we also knocked off two great newer clans (aO and Jell-O) on or way to what would be our first and only big title. Our title match vs Jello on Pipezone was probably the most exciting match I've ever taken part in. About a minute before the match ended, Jello was pounding us. They had all points captured but our home. I was running flags and as I exited my base I saw a scout running towards our home point. I conced up and landed on the capture point immediately after he capped it, denying them the all-cap bonus of 25 points. We won by 24 points.

Experiences like the one above is what made TFC so special. Matches were incredibly competitive and fun. The people I played with at this time I still talk to today on IRC, and I've even met a few of them in real life. It seems cliche to say, but to myself and many others who had the pleasure of playing competitvely at this time, TFC was much more than a game.
o_repair man is offline   Reply With Quote