View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #64
AcidReniX

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
allthough aiming techniques is not something I want to cover, as my aim in general is quite dire compared to a lot of players and i've generally relied on movement to keep me in with the better players, i guess a few things could be covered such as sensitivity, aiming patterns and the spray range of each weapon.

The reason I don't record a script is because its actually less fluent with a script than without. Its suprisingly difficult to play the game whilst describing what your doing. Its even harder to play the game to show what you've written in a script.

I'm sure someone else would be much more suited to the job, especially for the basic tutorials as although I'm good at the game, my presentation skills lack somewhat.

Just trying to do my bit for the community.

I've been playing TF2 quite a bit in the last week, and it is actually a great game (as long as you don't compare it to FF or TFC). My heart however has always and always will be with fast paced frantic games and since this is the best one out, I'm determined to do everything I can to help form a new thriving community.

Publicity is the only way this mod is going to kick off. You can change all the features of the game but at the end of the day, if I read a description of counter-strike, I wouldn't be even remotely interested in playing it. The only reason why I would play it would be because people are mentioning it as an awesome game... a lot of people.

What made me progress as a TFC player wasn't only watching people in game pull off these amazing maneuvers. I watched a whole load of videos, demos, read some stuff, heard things from word of mouth.

The graphics of the game aren't what people need to boast about. As hard as the developers have worked on them, they are not amazing. Don't get me wrong, they are good, and despite what people say about theming the graphics, they do fit together nicely (by theme I mean a pirate running around a power facility).

The small effects are cool for new players for about 10 seconds, then they are just part of the game. They hinder existing players as they are disorientating.

The main thing this game has to offer is gameplay. That has always been the mod's main focus, and that is what it was aiming for. Half the reason why FF was made is because people heard TF2 was removing grenades, movement speed and techniques, fov, gameplay styles and the list goes on...

I know I've kind of, hijacked my own thread, but i'd rather not make another new thread about how to help this game thrive. That implies that the game is doomed and discourages players from even trying it.

The simple message is think what YOU can personally do to help this community. Whether that means just simply playing the game as much as posible, creating a website/clan or making media to advertise the mod. But please, think about where your skills lie, if you insist of making a low quality, out of sync skills movie with nothing special in it and a blue screen with white font with the words "FF pwns TF2" as your splash screen, then don't upload it.

I play a lot of other games, and I always end up mentioning fortress forever in some way or form. I play some CS and I use shotguns to kill people. I often get a lot of kills and people are laughing saying wtf? I turn around and say I'm a fortress forever player, I only know how to use shotguns effectively. They ask what is Fortress Forever... and you can see where this is going.

But yea, tutorials are my other way of advertising this mod. Quake 3 trick jumping is great to watch, but when I tried to learn it, I got just past the basic, self explanatory stuff and wasn't really able to learn the rest. I gave up and moved on. Think about that one too.
AcidReniX is offline   Reply With Quote