XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
There's no winning here (as with absolutely everything in FF), but I think reducing new player confusion is a worthy goal, and that's why the single shotgun was removed. The role being emphasized is just a side benefit.

EDIT: I really suggest everyone watch that video I linked above, it's really eye-opening. He goes from class to class and uses the single shotgun on almost all of them for almost two hours and never gets a clue. He might be an exceptional outlier, but it seems silly to keep the single shotgun if there's the potential for new players to get such an inaccurate view of the gameplay.

EDIT#2: Created an issue about the model being confusing: https://github.com/fortressforever/f...ver/issues/149. If that gets implemented, I'd have no problem adding it back to the pyro.
Wow, that video really IS eye opening.

You made a good point above, which I agree with, namely that almost all FPS players assume shotguns are good and pack a punch. The single shotty has always been worse than a peashooter and the only reason I'm "cool" with it is because I'm used to the Quake 1 shotgun dichotomy. (Which the QWTF shotgun is based on.)

I like the discussion now, and why not take it a step further? I think a pistol would really fit the single shotgun's spot more. 8 clip pistol with same damage and same sound as the single shotty might clear up any confusion newbies have about the weapon's power. THoughts?
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote