View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #99
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
Quote:
I often wonder why you remain in the US. You seem to harbor alot of ill will towards this country
Hilarity. I remain here because we have a strong democratic tradition, America is a great nation and we have made tons of positive change over the past hundred or so years. I am an American - I believe in democracy and justice, values this nation was founded on. You, however, seem to view that being a superpower is all that matters - not democracy, not justice. It pains me that your ilk have hijacked this country, and my people - the true Americans - are going to take it back. Your children will live in a more democratic, more free, more just world whether you want it or not.

Quote:
You are throwing each of those examples out to demonstrate, I believe, that the US was acting in a villianous manner.
Incorrect. My point is simply that we acted violently in these examples. In the case of our international aggression, it doesn't matter who invited us, it doesn't matter what our intentions were. The Iraqis who have lost innocent family members don't give a shiat about which Iraqis invited us in, or what some American politicians/military officials intentions were - they are pissed that we killed their family, and they want to get back at us. I bet if some nation invaded the US and murdered some of your family members and destroyed the infrastructure of our society, you'd feel quite the same. People respond to actions, not intentions.

But it seems you are finally agreeing that we have had dozens of violent international conflicts for hundreds of years. From attacking Native Americans and sieging pirate cities in Northern Africa in the early 1800s to our current conflict in Iraq, this is the truth.

Quote:
My guess is that oil would very quickly stop flowing due to internal/external wars and power struggles, the global economy would collapse.
Baseless claims. There is strong interest in the middle east in maintaining peace between nations and profiting by selling oil to the rest of the world, and these have kept things in the middle east stable for this past half-century, not US military intervention.

I'll break it down very simply: For the vast majority of this nation's history, our foreign policy has been one of using our economic and military power to violently get what the ruling powers in this country want. The Terrorist attacks on september 11th, 2001 were a response to this. The 9/11 commission states that, al-Qaeda said that is what happened, international studies corroborate it, and its just logical. Yet you still deny it.

We need to change our policy to a policy of international cooperation, with violence being the very last resort. Why do you two have such an issue with this?

International cooperation is not a crazy, out-there, ineffective idea. Europe, which has been a hotbed of violence and inequality for thousands of years decided to do this after the World Wars, and it has benefitted each nation enormously.
Imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote